• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

ALG or Finger Tricks, which should be learned first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadicalRick

I'm wondering what I should learn first. Base on speedcuber's experiences here, what did you learn first?
Fancy finger tricks or the algorithms.
I already know how to solve the cube, obviously, now I want to get faster.
Do I learn how to spin the cubes with some nifty finger tricks now or do I learn the new algorithm first, before learning some finger tricks? I'm assuming, the finger tricks should be learned next now that I do know how to solve the cube. Then some new faster Alg. But what do I know, I'm no expert, yet.

duckyisepic

the forgotten disassembled 4x4 underneath your bed
imo, i learn fingertricks with the alg I'm learning. But I do think you should know basic fingertricks in order to do super "cool" fingertricks. Before, I use to just learn the alg from a yt video and never paid attention to fingertricks. This factor was one of the reasons why I couldn't achieve sub 20 on 3x3. I then saw this article by jayden, So I went back to yt videos going into 0.25 speed and doing proper fingertricks for some plls I needed to learn. This improved my times drastically, reducing regrips in my solves. I think learning new algs with the fingertricks will reduce future mistakes in your solves. But in the end this is my opinion based on my experience, and doing algs or fingertricks first is your preference.

Learn fingertricks from this video:

Then learn an advanced method. I recommend learning CFOP then ZZ. Alternatively, if you want to be more efficient (less moves) then learn Roux. And if you want to use an amazing yet less-developed method then learn Mehta.

If you want to get faster but don't want to learn a new method then just practice turning fast, being efficient and not pausing during solves.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
imo it depends on what you define as "fancy finger tricks". You should definitely know some basic fingertricks like U flicks, thumb F moves, double flick U2 and D2s, pinch U moves, and drag U moves, to name a few. More complicated fingertricks like pushes, weird RUS stuff, simultaneous U/D moves, etc. are not that important before you've learned full CFOP

RadicalRick

If you are learning or planning to learn a lot of algs you should learn fingertricks first. But as @CuberStache had said if you have learnt the essentials you don't need to learn advanced fingertricks.
It's that son of a "B" that keeps tripping me up! I got the CFOP down. Just need to make sure I'm using the proper finger moves. L, R, D, U, and F I got down I believe. I've been improving my double flicks. Two fingers doing the turns instead of one finger flicking twice. U2(where streets have no names), F2(fighter jet), L2(lumbar spine), R2-D2(Star Wars), etc...

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
My approach is first to learn algorithms and then to develop various kinds of fingertricks and finally stick to one and perfect the fingertrick and make it fast. I don't think this is the outright best approach, but it works well for me.
I do the same thing and I also see how others do it and see if I like it more

RadicalRick

Or you could just learn both simultaneously.
This is what I'm working on and it seems to be coming together nicely. Just doing the CF first. Slowly to grasp the concept then I do each ALG fast many times over so that it gets burned into my brain.

Last edited:

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
I do whichever is easier at the time. When I am tired and can't focus well, I practise the algorithms that I know and hope to turn faster. When my 75 year old fingers are sore, which happens quite often since I started cubing, I learn algorithms or learn how the pieces move around the cube looking for alternative moves, so that I can turn slowly.

I'm wondering what I should learn first. Base on speedcuber's experiences here, what did you learn first?
Fancy finger tricks or the algorithms.
I already know how to solve the cube, obviously, now I want to get faster.
Do I learn how to spin the cubes with some nifty finger tricks now or do I learn the new algorithm first, before learning some finger tricks? I'm assuming, the finger tricks should be learned next now that I do know how to solve the cube. Then some new faster Alg. But what do I know, I'm no expert, yet.
I think you should do go with alg so then you will know efficient way to be faster

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Incorporate the new finger tricks you’re learning into the algs you’re learning simultaneously. Just like learning algs but not practicing recognition defeats the benefit of the alg, learning stand-alone finger tricks is much less useful than when it’s incorporated into your algs.

Incorporate the new finger tricks you’re learning into the algs you’re learning simultaneously. Just like learning algs but not practicing recognition defeats the benefit of the alg, learning stand-alone finger tricks is much less useful than when it’s incorporated into your algs.
I think you can practice both by ratio of 2:1 such as 2 finger tricks and one algorithm

Status
Not open for further replies.