• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Aglet's intro

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi all, I'm Francie, 34, my other hobby is spinning yarn, so I suppose I just like things that twist.

I'm pretty new to cubing... actually I could work out exactly how new because I bought an old Rubik's cube at a vintage store the morning before Sydney (Australia) went into our current lockdown, and with plenty of time on my hands, things escalated quickly from there (yes, I have a better cube now).

I'm sub 1 minute, though at the moment I'm more interested in learning new things (currently working on full PLL) and practicing, rather than doing many timed solves. I'm really enjoying learning more about cubing and also tackling different shapemodes (I just solved my axis cube for the first time, and am eyeing my ghost cube suspiciously).

It's been particularly interesting getting into cubing as someone with dyslexia. I do struggle with keeping track of clockwise and counterclockwise, and have found cubing notation very difficult. I've ended up translating algorithms to my own notation using unicode arrows, which I'm quite pleased with. But my goal is to be able to follow standard notation.

I'm looking forward to learning and sharing here.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
Welcome! This place is amazing. I am a slow learner and slower turner, averaging just over 1 min after 5 months practising just the 3x3. I struggle especially bad when I have to learn large number of algorithms. I'm 75. However I think the cube is great as a pastime at this time. Enjoy your visits here.

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
Hi all, I'm Francie, 34, my other hobby is spinning yarn, so I suppose I just like things that twist.

I'm pretty new to cubing... actually I could work out exactly how new because I bought an old Rubik's cube at a vintage store the morning before Sydney (Australia) went into our current lockdown, and with plenty of time on my hands, things escalated quickly from there (yes, I have a better cube now).

I'm sub 1 minute, though at the moment I'm more interested in learning new things (currently working on full PLL) and practicing, rather than doing many timed solves. I'm really enjoying learning more about cubing and also tackling different shapemodes (I just solved my axis cube for the first time, and am eyeing my ghost cube suspiciously).

It's been particularly interesting getting into cubing as someone with dyslexia. I do struggle with keeping track of clockwise and counterclockwise, and have found cubing notation very difficult. I've ended up translating algorithms to my own notation using unicode arrows, which I'm quite pleased with. But my goal is to be able to follow standard notation.

Welcome!

If you are interested in learning something like a new method you should check out Nautilus for 3x3.
Here is the Nautilus website link: https://sites.google.com/view/nautilus-method
This method is very good and has the potential to be world-class. I am currently learning the algs for it and am going to be using it as my main method. The inventor of Nautilus and a ton of other promising method is active on the forums (Atherfre) and we have someone else who uses this method over CFOP, Roux, and Mehta and is the fastest user right now, currently averaging 13 seconds, and holds the Nautilus Unofficial World Record Single of 6.89 seconds.

If you want a good shape mod I would recommend the Moyu Puppet cube. There are two of them I have the Puppet II which is more challenging.

https://cushan.io/#translator is a great, easy to learn and follow notation alternative and on top of being less confusing for some it also assists in making learning algs easier since you have a mental image instead of a bunch of letters.

(@Rouxvolutionist get Ninja'd!)

YouTube
Visit Channel
@CubeRed thanks! I've done plenty of higher education and the like despite my dyslexia, so I suppose I'm use to working with it. It's actually interesting doing something that specifically challenges me in that way. I don't think I'll ever be particularly fast, though I still have heaps of room for improvement. At the moment my plan is to start learning Roux once I have full PLL down, while also working on improving my F2L in CFOP.

@Dan the Beginner This looks like a great community, I've been lurking for a little while now : ) Picking up something like cubing at 75 is an amazing achievement! I know what you mean about leaning large algorithm sets, I don't think it will ever be my strong point. But I am getting there and enjoying myself, which is what counts I think.

@BenChristman1 I have a Mirror cube (easier but lots of fun!), Axis cube, Ghost cube (currently never been scrambled) and a Windmill cube and Penrose cube on their way to me. Currently all 3x3 mods. I'm happy to here suggestions on others to try : ) At some point I'll need to do an order from overseas, because there are some thing that just aren't available in Australia at the moment.

@TheCubingCuber347 I'm definitely interested in learning a range of methods, so I'll check out Nautilus (great name). I've looked at the Moyu Puppet Cubes, they might be a bit beyond my abilities at the moment, but I can see myself getting one just to explore. CuSHan looks fascinating, thanks for pointing me to it! A bit more sophisticated then my arrows : ) Though I have found that reinterpreting information into my own notation and notes (in little foldable 8 page booklets) has really helped my learning process.

PXL_20210919_021151184.jpg

PS is there some way to keep my smiley faces as the original punctuation? I'm old school that way.

Last edited:

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Hello there and welcome to the cubing world!