• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A fast, easy F2l Solve?

InfiniteZero

Hi, I need a method that is faster than begginner and easier than fridrich. One of these methods I have heard about is called keyhole. Could anyone direct me to a site with easy to understand instructions? I also don't really get the idea of keyhole, so could anyone explain that to me please?

Thank you, you guy's help is appreciated.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use it and learned it from deepcube.net (intermediate)

Keyhole is all about the First 2 Layers:

Normal beginners method:
Cross
4x1 corner
4x1 edge

Keyhole beginner (no extra algorithms necessary):
Cross
3x1 corner
3x1 edge
last corner
last edge

Keyhole a bit more advanced:
Cross
3x1 corner
4x1 edge
last corner (5 extra algs)

Fridrich:
Cross
4x1 corner+edge at the same time (about 40 extra algorithms, but can be learned intuitively)

Keyhole requires less moves compared to a beginners method to put in the edges, because the corner is not placed yet (and thus you don't have to restore it).

Arakron

http://jeays.net/rubiks.htm

The solution #2 here uses a keyhole method and doesn't even require anything extra for the last corner/edge pair - it solves them along with the last layer so there are even fewer algs. I use this method, and have a best time around 41 and an average of 12 a few seconds under 60.

One problem is that assuming you already know a beginner LL, you'll have to learn a new one. On the other hand, it's very easy - Essentially one alg, along with mirrors and commutators, for the corners, and a couple more for the edges, but in my opinion the edges are faster intuitively.

InfiniteZero

With this method you should be able to average around 50 seconds, 40 if you are really good, and someone (sorry, I forget his name) averages sub 25, but that's just insane.

@AvGavelen

Are you that insane guy? :huh:

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No, I am not that insane guy. That sentence was already there before I started to learn his intermediate method.

It only took me a month to get to the 35/40 seconds range with this method. Then I focussed on the bigger cubes, because I like them better. I always thought it was possible to break 30 seconds with the intermediate method and even told other speedcubers that I wouldn't switch to another method untill I did it in a competition.

Last weekend I succeeded and now I have a sub 27 official avarage!

The insane guy might be Koen, because he can average 20.95 with this method and a 3 look last layer. That means he could easily break 25 with a 4 look last layer.

InfiniteZero

I read it and I do NOT understand how this works...

I get 3 corners. I then get the insert middle edge for the non-corner. Is that all it is? Do you then just insert the rest of the edges normally?

Arakron

No, you use the non-corner (working corner) to insert the 3 edges adjacent to the 3 corners. After you solve the cross and 3 corners, put the cross on the bottom if it isn't already and rotate D so that the working corner is below one of those 3 edges. Now, if the working corner is in DRF, you can do F' or R, then turn U, then undo the F' or R, and you haven't unsolved a corner you care about. Repeat for the other 2 "solved corner edges."

pyrotek7x7

Here is the basic idea:

You get the entire first layer except one corner. Then, USING THAT OPEN SPACE, you insert the 2nd layer edges. You twist the the first layer side you did to move that open corner around to open 2nd layer spots, and insert the 2nd layer edges with simple 3-move algorithms. (It'd be best if you found these out yourself)