• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Lubricant Other than Silicone Spray

rahulkadukar

WCA
2009KADU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I live in India and it is very difficult or should I say impossible to get Silicone spray here. I have been recommended many alternatives and I would like to know which is good or bad.

1.WD40
2.Vaseline
3.Boric Powder
4.Talcum Powder
5.Automobile Grade Grease
6.Candle Wax

Which is good or bad and can I mix some of the above, I have heard that Boric Powder + Grease is awesome.

suhas2112

YouTube
Visit Channel
Until recently, I thought that getting silicone spray is impossible... You just need to do a little bit of work, not just going and asking in every shop... It should be very east to find in Mumbai... As for the other lubricants, most of them suck... Not sure about the boric powder though...

d4m4s74

WCA
2009ZALI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
a friend of mine used teflon spray

it works pretty good, but it's not exactly perfect

also:

1.WD40 **** NO!
2.Vaseline Pretty good, but it eats away the plastic so you'll have to buy new cubes very often

Last edited:

abr71310

WCA
2009SHAO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
1.WD40 -- No
2.Vaseline -- No
3.Boric Powder -- No
4.Talcum Powder -- Maybe (It depends what brand)
5.Automobile Grade Grease -- Only White Lithium Grease -- anything else will kill plastic.
6.Candle Wax -- No.

bamman1108

Most people hate vaseline because it eats the plastic, but I discovered that vaseline was the best lubricant (by Dan Brown :( ) until I learned that is eats the cube. I immediately cleaned it out, and it was better than it ever was, just because it wore it down tremendously. My first cube (storebought) now rivals my diy after spraying silicone spray into it.

rahulkadukar

WCA
2009KADU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well will have to do with Vaseline since it is th eonly thing I have. Have competition on 13 and 14 February, will clean it out immedieately after the competition.

Thanks for the help.

After that will look for silicone Spray (when I have more time)

Tox|k

YouTube
Visit Channel
i used to to mineral oil before silicone spray. It's basically just a very neutral oil, it's used for tons of purposes. One of it's uses is as a mild laxative, so you can usually find it in drug stores. It should be similar in feel to vaseline, but I've never had problems with it corroding a cube.

bamman1108

Well will have to do with Vaseline since it is th eonly thing I have. Have competition on 13 and 14 February, will clean it out immedieately after the competition.

Thanks for the help.

After that will look for silicone Spray (when I have more time)

Clean it out after 1 or 2 weeks and don't lube it again until you have silicon spray.

Paulo

Yep, I did try this things on my Panshi. But the graphite powder made my cube louder and harder to turn. Even after cleaning it.
Hair silicon oil. NO
Silicon Spray. Not good enough.
Graphite powder. NEVER
Liquid soap. NO
Nothing. YES YES YES (it's much much better than above. Very quick.)
I hope helped someone.