• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Deal Extreme

robertpauljr

I recently got a DIY from Deal Extreme. It was different than the few other DIYs I have experience with, but I have no idea what Type it is. How do you know? It only has one washer per screw, and I think they are made of plastic. Furthermore, do most cores have any metal in them for the screws to screw into, or are they all plastic? I think the DX one is all plastic. Here is the one I ordered.

I've had it a few days and like it so far, but wonder how long it will last. Does anyone have any experience with DX twisty products? This 3x3x3 DIY? The Megaminx? The 4-layer Square-1 cube? The Pyraminx? I'd really like to know how the DX products compare to others. I'd really like feedback from people who have actually used them. I am not into speed cubing, if that makes a difference, so I wouldn't be pushing them to the max that way, but I'd still like decent cubes.

Thanks.

robertpauljr

For the first half dozen pages people mainly talked about available products, but not experiential knowledge of the quality of the products. Garmon indicates that the megaminx is not built for speed on page 9. There are also comments that the megaminx is better if screws and springs are replaced with a Type A set. The idea of getting DX products is to save money, not have to spend an equal amount on a set of springs and screws. This may not be an issue for some, but it puts me off. If I had a stockpile of extras, I guess I might try it, but I don't.

On page 8 Don Tonberry says regarding the 3x3x3 DIY I asked about, "It's just a type C. I thought it was pretty good, really smooth decently fast." More people later on (page 10) talk about the Type C DIY favorably.

So now that I have read the 12 page post mentioned by Jai I know that I am now the proud owner of a Type C cube, but still don't know how you know it is type C. And the other questions in my first paragraph were not answered either.

Although there was some discussion of the megaminx, I did not see answers to my other questions in paragraph two of my original post.

Last edited:

Jai

WCA
2007GAMB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The products there are the same products sold on Cube4You (no, Dealextreme doesn't make its own products or anything), so you can go check out the Cube4you forums and their product reviews, for more information.
The selection on DX isn't that good, I'd say to stick with Cube4You, 9spuzzles, puzzlproz, or any other larger cube shop. You can't beat the free shipping from DX though :p

Last edited:

Neroflux

WCA
2009YENL01
i bought the transparent and some washers and a center piece was missing. so they sent the replacement, but they sent the wrong center piece. but they made up for that with around 100 extra washers.

kind of funny.

Athefre

It looks like a type (f) to me, judging by the first and second picture. It has the same extreme rounded pieces, black screws (which are also on Type (c)), and no slots on the corners of the centers which are supposed to be on Type (c)s for easy cap removal, and also has an large amount of flaw lines like my type (f). But the third picture looks exactly like my Type (c)s.

If your cube:

a. Has really rounded cubies compared to other cubes
b. Has centers that don't have two slots diagonal from each other
c. Feels really hollow when you turn it

The it's probably a type (f).

Last edited:

cookingfat

WCA
2009HARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It looks like a type (f) to me, judging by the first and second picture. It has the same extreme rounded pieces, black screws (which are also on Type (c)), and no slots on the corners of the centers which are supposed to be on Type (c)s for easy cap removal, and also has an large amount of flaw lines like my type (f). But the third picture looks exactly like my Type (c)s.

If your cube:

I asked the same question in this thread and most people said it was a type C

I might get one anyway

Athefre

Unknown.soul said:
Do Type Fs have plastic washers? AFAIK, Type Cs are the only DIYs that have them.

If your cube:

I asked the same question in this thread and most people said it was a type C

I might get one anyway

What I'm saying is I believe the cube in pictures 1 and 2 are type (f) and picture 3 is a type (c)

Look at the center piece in the center of picture 3. You can see one of the slots that are on the centers of type (c). But in picture 2 there are no slots.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Now I really want to order from DX.
Type C is my favorite speed cube and the 4x4 and 5x5 are rather cheap, and it's free shipping! So why not?
5x5 seems to be confirmed as Eastsheen, the details on 4x4 is still a bit fuzzy. Anyone got it yet?

Neroflux

WCA
2009YENL01
Type C is my favorite speed cube and the 4x4 and 5x5 are rather cheap, and it's free shipping! So why not?
5x5 seems to be confirmed as Eastsheen, the details on 4x4 is still a bit fuzzy. Anyone got it yet?

hi dear, how many times must i say it's not eastsheen?

i can provide pics of this cube if i want.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

[Pochmann]So, you didn't want to?[/Pochmann]

Neroflux

WCA
2009YENL01

[Pochmann]So, you didn't want to?[/Pochmann]

yes, :):):):):p:p:p:p

robertpauljr

The DIY I got from DX has slots on the center caps as described above, so it is for sure a Type C, and now I know a couple distinguishing features of Type C cubes. Thank you all for your input.

The 4-layer Square-1 cyclinder section sometimes moves along with one of the inner layers, so that I have to realign everything. Does anyone know if this is typical behavior for these cubes?

Last edited:

siva.shanmukh

WCA
2008SHAN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Can you please provide the pics?

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
5x5 is not Eastsheen?
I saw it described as an Eastsheen multiple times in the other thread.

I saw the discription saying the 4x4 is not that good for speedcubing, but what is so bad about it? How bad can it be anyway? Surely it cannot be as bad as that Rubik's Revenge I had at DC open (Dan Cohen only managed to get 50 seconds doing it as a 3x3). If it's even slightly better than that, I'd be willing to get it.