• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What's some good software to keep track of algs?

Zarxrax

I've been looking for something to help me keep track of my algs.
What I basically want, is to be able to have a picture of the case, and then be able to write the alg beside it, and maybe some other comments.

I've traditionally just used plain text files, but that doesn't let me have the images. I'm starting to learn some cases from multiple angles, so it's imortant for me to have the picture.

I thought a speadsheet might work well. I don't have Excel, but I tried both Google Docs spreadsheet, and Open Office, and then both seem to have the problem that my pictures don't actually get pasted into an actual cell... they are just sort of hanging out on top of the whole spreadsheet or something.
I tried a few personal wiki apps, but didn't come across any that worked all that well for this purpose.
I finally just started using html to make it, and while it works, it's more time-consuming and annoying than I would like.

Anyone know of some other options?

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been looking for something to help me keep track of my algs.
What I basically want, is to be able to have a picture of the case, and then be able to write the alg beside it, and maybe some other comments.

I've traditionally just used plain text files, but that doesn't let me have the images. I'm starting to learn some cases from multiple angles, so it's imortant for me to have the picture.

I thought a speadsheet might work well. I don't have Excel, but I tried both Google Docs spreadsheet, and Open Office, and then both seem to have the problem that my pictures don't actually get pasted into an actual cell... they are just sort of hanging out on top of the whole spreadsheet or something.
I tried a few personal wiki apps, but didn't come across any that worked all that well for this purpose.
I finally just started using html to make it, and while it works, it's more time-consuming and annoying than I would like.

Anyone know of some other options?
use cube explorer.
write down the algs the same way CE spits them out into a text file.

so: F R B D L' D2 etc

then load them into CE and spit them out in html.

Zarxrax

use cube explorer.
write down the algs the same way CE spits them out into a text file.

so: F R B D L' D2 etc

then load them into CE and spit them out in html.

Interesting solution! But, I think it wouldn't be that handy for constantly adding new algs or editing existing ones. If I was going to do them all in one go, that sounds like the way to go, though.