• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

QJ tiled 4x4 vs mini QJ 4x4

Hyprul 9-ty2

WCA
2009XIAT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I prefer the tiled QJ, but I'm getting a mini QJ to practice with. I want to see how good it really is, so far I haven't been able to sub 1:15 with my friends' mini QJ.

Down to basics, people say mini's are better because of the sped-up 3x3 part.
I still love Mefferts though xD

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I own a full sized QJ 4x4 with tiles and it is really good and worth the money. But I have ordered two (one black, one white) 6cm mini QJ 4x4's from popbuying.com .

And until they arrive, I really do not know.

But I have heard from others thay are better. I think it is because of the size. I still use my two 6cm Eastsheen 4x4's alot. So a 6cm Eastsheen 4x4 cube that can cut corners well is the idea behing the QJ mini 6cm 4x4 cube.

I also ordered a screw/spring 2x2 from them as well in the same order.

daniel0731ex

yeah the mini QJ really need some breaking in. the inner layer is really bumpy at firs, but after breaking it begins to have a nice gummy, control-able feel

WCA
2009HERS02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Mini QJ is nice once you break it in/lube it a bunch, but I'm planning on purchasing the tiled version because I've simply found it's a lot faster, locks up less, and glides incredibly well. I got the Mini because of how nice and small it was, but the tiled version is just so much better, it really compensates for its size. (In case you're wondering, they're both far better than Eastsheen)

LewisJ

Isn't the tiled essentially a Meffert's?

No. Qj made a mefferts copy (Which everyone called "Clefferts") and then they made the mini "Clefferts". So no.

And by everyone you mean monkeydude1313 aka chrisbird, who has since issued a formal recall on use of that name, because it is known to cause cancer in the state of California.

Also, your explanation directly contradicts your conclusion. A tiled QJ IS essentially a Meffert's, arguably with small improvements. You yourself said it is a copy, so yes, it is essentially a Meffert's.

V-te

YouTube
Visit Channel

No. Qj made a mefferts copy (Which everyone called "Clefferts") and then they made the mini "Clefferts". So no.

And by everyone you mean monkeydude1313 aka chrisbird, who has since issued a formal recall on use of that name, because it is known to cause cancer in the state of California.

Also, your explanation directly contradicts your conclusion. A tiled QJ IS essentially a Meffert's, arguably with small improvements. You yourself said it is a copy, so yes, it is essentially a Meffert's.

Yes, I know monkeydude recalled it, but I was saying that everyone (and there was a time in these forums where it was 90%) called it "Clefferts"

I see you're correct about the conclusion. Lol. Thank you =)

WCA
2008HERR01

lol and nubcakes

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Mini QJ is nice once you break it in/lube it a bunch, but I'm planning on purchasing the tiled version because I've simply found it's a lot faster, locks up less, and glides incredibly well. I got the Mini because of how nice and small it was, but the tiled version is just so much better, it really compensates for its size. (In case you're wondering, they're both far better than Eastsheen)

When my normal sized tiled QJ arrived, it was already broken in and lubed.

But my mini QJ arrived unbroken in and of course unlubed.

I think the mini QJ is better, but I haven't managed to fully break mine in yet. I still haven't managed to use my mini QJ to beat my best avg of 12 which was done on a normal sized tiled QJ :/

Hadley4000

WCA
2008SHEF01
YouTube
Visit Channel

When my normal sized tiled QJ arrived, it was already broken in and lubed.

But my mini QJ arrived unbroken in and of course unlubed.

I think the mini QJ is better, but I haven't managed to fully break mine in yet. I still haven't managed to use my mini QJ to beat my best avg of 12 which was done on a normal sized tiled QJ :/

Is the mini ball or core structure?

andrewunz1

normal size qjs break easy
i was removing tiles to put stickers and one of the centers broke
so i ordered a mini qj so i will see how that one is