1. Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 30,000+ people from around the world today!
    Dismiss Notice

What Orientation do you use for Blindsolving?

Discussion in 'Blindsolving Discussion' started by Dr_Detonation, May 17, 2017.

1. Dr_Detonation

Dr_Detonation Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Over da Rainbow
    WCA:
    2017ECKS02
    I'm making this this thread to help beginners that are just starting 3BLD find a good cube orientation.
    Personally, I use green in front with white on top, which is standard WCA. I know lots of people use blue on top, red on front, though, cuz that's what Zane and Noah do.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    abunickabhi likes this.
  2. Fábio De'Rose

Fábio De'Rose Member

Mar 31, 2017
    São Paulo, Brazil
    WCA:
    2016DERO04
    YouTube:
    Bigodon
    What in your opinion defines a "Good orientation"? Because this concept doesn't make much sense to me.

This is a matter of personal preference. There's no such thing as good or bad orientations, especially when we consider that proper BLD scrambles will randomize the orientation of the cube. Thus the official WCA notation, which is used for scrambling only, is neutralized.

Some people will use Noah's orientation so their initial learning process is eased, but once their wheels are taken off and they become independent, this will most likely not matter at all, since advanced materials will most likely apply the universally accepted notation for pieces, disregarding colors.

TL;DR: Choose the prettiest orientation.

3. sqAree

sqAree Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Berlin
    WCA:
    2015JAEH01
    YouTube:
    sqAree
    So yep, I agree with Fábio that it doesn't matter.
    However, I used the normal WCA orientation and I think it helped me getting comfortable with the orientation / color scheme along with FMC (where it makes sense to use the WCA orientation).
    Still, doesn't matter.

4. Mastermind2368

Mastermind2368 Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Home
    WCA:
    2015FOXC01
    YouTube:
    MASTERMIND2368
    Yellow on top, Blue in front.

abunickabhi likes this.
  5. Fábio sums it up. It really doesn't matter. It's like saying which is better for cfop white cross or blue cross? Both will have lucky scrambles and both are good if you use it right. It really is just personal preference

Fábio De'Rose likes this.
  6. oneshot

oneshot Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Down the rabbit hole...
    YouTube:
    Twizzle
    The only advantage I can see in picking one orientation over another is if you might want to pick the orientation of whatever tutorial you are learning from to make it easier. But once you know an orientation, one isn't better than another...

7. I use orange in front yellow top.

8. DGCubes

DGCubes Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Over there
    WCA:
    2013GOOD01
    YouTube:
    DGCubes
    No, green on front and white on top is WCA. :p

I use red on front and blue on top because of Noah and also because I always thought it looked nicest even before I started learning 3BLD.

Space Cat likes this.
  9. Dr_Detonation

Dr_Detonation Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Over da Rainbow
    WCA:
    2017ECKS02
    Crap. Meant white, guess I got confused.

10. T1_M0

T1_M0 Member

Feb 13, 2017
    Finland
    WCA:
    2017NORR01
    YouTube:
    Ilopilleri00
    Green top, red front. If I had done fmc when I learned bld, I'd definitely have learned with the wca orientation.

Dr_Detonation and Fábio De'Rose like this.
  11. Yellow Top, Blue Front cause that's my standard ZZ orientation.

12. lucarubik

lucarubik Member

May 4, 2011
    Madrid, Spain, Spain
    WCA:
    2010BENI02
    YouTube:
    naker115
    same, although i dont remember the reason, but im pretty sure there was one...
    oh yeah y on top couse i solve white first in cfop, blue on front...

Dr_Detonation likes this.
  13. FastCubeMaster

FastCubeMaster Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    WCA:
    2015PEAR02
    YouTube:
    FastCubeMaster
    I do green on top and blue on front cos it's luckier

14. mark49152

mark49152 Super Moderator Staff Member

Oct 29, 2012
    UK
    WCA:
    2015RIVE05
    YouTube:
    mark49152
    It's correct to say that orientation is entirely personal preference but that doesn't mean it's not a valid question. People may have reasons for their personal preferences, and a beginner who has not yet formed a preference might find it helpful to understand why others have the preferences they do.

Mine is yellow top green front. The reason is that this is my CFOP orientation. I'm a white cross solver and I learned my colour scheme for the sides by thinking of green as front, orange is right, etc., instead of by their relative positions. It would have been more difficult for me to choose a different orientation for blind.

kubnintadni likes this.
  15. Ranzha

Ranzha Friendly, Neighbourhoodly

Taught someone how to solve BLD recently, and they chose orange on U, green on F ;)

I use WG (boring)

What's up?

16. I am now convinced that we are the exact same person

17. tx789

tx789 Member

Sep 6, 2010
    New Zealand
    WCA:
    2010HUNT02
    YouTube:
    thetx789
    Yellow top, blue front. I didn't really want to use white top, green front and sort of ended up with what I use. Also the orientation doesn't matter. In comp the orientation of the cube is randomised.

18. newtonbase

newtonbase Premium Member

Jan 4, 2014
    MK, UK
    WCA:
    2015ADAM03
    YouTube:
    newtonbase
    I use WCA which is undoubtedly the best and anyone who disagrees is wrong. :)

kubnintadni likes this.
  19. Yellow.