• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

ZZ or Roux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RR

Hello guys, so i have some question. I'm planning to switch to Roux from ZZ. Is it a good decision ? I can get some sub 20s and sometimes sub 15 with ZZ. But it's not consistent !! Sometimes I even got 28s lol. So is it worth it to switch ? I'm really having fun in Roux and sub 35 now.

Shah

Hello guys, so i have some question. I'm planning to switch to Roux from ZZ. Is it a good decision ? I can get some sub 20s and sometimes sub 15 with ZZ. But it's not consistent !! Sometimes I even got 28s lol. So is it worth it to switch ? I'm really having fun in Roux and sub 35 now.

There is nothing wrong in learning new methods. Play with Roux for sometime and see if you prefer it over ZZ

RR

There is nothing wrong in learning new methods. Play with Roux for sometime and see if you prefer it over ZZ

What method do you use ? Do you think i could get sub 25 in 2 months ? I'll practice hard.

Shah

What method do you use ? Do you think i could get sub 25 in 2 months ? I'll practice hard.

I use Roux. Yes, With practice you can easily get sub-25 in Roux, since you've already got sub-20s in ZZ.

RR

I use Roux. Yes, With practice you can easily get sub-25 in Roux, since you've already got sub-20s in ZZ.

Really ? Because i have a competition in 2 months and i'm planning to switch. Do you think it is really possible ? I already know 7 CMLL

RR

Oh btw if i would choose Roux what's the good cube ? Maru CX3 Or Aolong ? I think the cx3 is good at m slice because it is 58mm

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just practice both for a while.

As for the question of is it worth it, nobody is really sure which method is faster (except for OH, ZZ is probably better), so you should just probably choose the method that you find more fun.

RR

Just practice both for a while.

As for the question of is it worth it, nobody is really sure which method is faster (except for OH, ZZ is probably better), so you should just probably choose the method that you find more fun.

Well I'm not really asking which is faster. Both of them has a potential. My main question is can i get sub 25 in 2 months if i really practice Roux ?

RR

People get sub-25 2 months after starting cubing. Of course it's possible.

Really thanks. That could motivate me. This is the last question. CX3 or Aolong v2 ? I think maru is good at m slice

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Really thanks. That could motivate me. This is the last question. CX3 or Aolong v2 ? I think maru is good at m slice
You do have to practise a lot though :p Luckily for you, if you do choose Roux, you don't need to have as good TPS because it's more efficient. If you can learn to look ahead, I would think that getting sub-25 would be easier with Roux. I could be wrong though.
I don't have either, so I can't answer that, sorry.

RR

You do have to practise a lot though :p Luckily for you, if you do choose Roux, you don't need to have as good TPS because it's more efficient. If you can learn to look ahead, I would think that getting sub-25 would be easier with Roux. I could be wrong though.
I don't have either, so I can't answer that, sorry.

Oh you pointed out my main problem ! Look ahead. My look ahead in zz is really great because the edges are oriented. But in Roux the pieces is more like what is the term. Spread ? lol btw should i start practicing planning first block while my eyes is closed ?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh you pointed out my main problem ! Look ahead. My look ahead in zz is really great because the edges are oriented. But in Roux the pieces is more like what is the term. Spread ? lol btw should i start practicing planning first block while my eyes is closed ?
Yeah, I think I've switched to Roux - I'm practising it more than CFOP, at least, but knowing me I'll revert back quickly - and lookahead is a problem for me, especially during my second block and transitioning from the first block. Practising the first block BLD is a very good idea, as once you can do that with reasonably high accuracy you can start looking ahead to the second block as you're doing your first block. Just remember that it will be hard at first - you may only be able to plan the 2x2. Take as much time as you need, and remember: the most important thing is practise.

RR

Yeah, I think I've switched to Roux - I'm practising it more than CFOP, at least, but knowing me I'll revert back quickly - and lookahead is a problem for me, especially during my second block and transitioning from the first block. Practising the first block BLD is a very good idea, as once you can do that with reasonably high accuracy you can start looking ahead to the second block as you're doing your first block. Just remember that it will be hard at first - you may only be able to plan the 2x2. Take as much time as you need, and remember: the most important thing is practise.

Thanks for all the help. I'll start practicing now haha.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
My opinion is that Roux is, in fact, a faster method than ZZ. I think it has much more potential to be fast than ZZ, as it's much more efficient. Choose whatever method you'll enjoy enough to practice, and that'll work for you, but Roux is a great method.

Last edited:

Millet

YouTube
Visit Channel
My opinion is that Roux is, in fact, a faster method than ZZ. I think it has much more potential to be fast than ZZ, as it's much more efficient. Choose whatever method you'll enjoy enough to practice, and that'll work for you, but Roux is a great method.

By that logic, Roux has more potential than CFOP as well, because it is more efficient. All methods have strong and weak points, efficiency is but one of those points. I do however agree with your latter statement, choose a method that you enjoy the most, and also that Roux is a great method.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
By that logic, Roux has more potential than CFOP as well, because it is more efficient. All methods have strong and weak points, efficiency is but one of those points. I do however agree with your latter statement, choose a method that you enjoy the most, and also that Roux is a great method.
That is my opinion. Yes. Roux has more potential. It may be easier to get sub 10 with CFOP than with Roux, but I think it's easier to get sub 6 with Roux than with CFOP. Roux may be a more difficult method but it has a higher ceiling because of the low movecount. I think it's also worth noting that despite there being way more CFOP users than Roux users, thereby giving CFOP many more chances to be fast, Roux *has* been as fast or faster than CFOP at top speed. There's been a 6.8 average of 100 done with Roux. That's never happened with CFOP.

The reason I would prioritize efficiency over ease of use when thinking about which method has the most potential is that method efficiency is much less controllable than use. If we say for the sake of argument that Roux is more efficient but recognition and lookahead are more difficult than CFOP, I would still think it had more potential. With either method, you can get good enough at recognizing and looking ahead that there won't be pauses even with a more difficult method. People can get good enough at using difficult methods to make the added difficulty have a negligible effect on times. Pauseless turning with a difficult method and pauseless turning with an easy method will be similar in terms of time. But that's not true with efficiency. A brilliantly skilled solver can't make an inefficient method efficient.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.