• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] YJ YuLong

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Good

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Above average

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Below average

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Bad

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is for reviews of the YJ YuLong. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

• Where the puzzle was purchased:
  • When the puzzle was purchased:
  • Thoughts on the puzzle:
What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMG, I think this cube will be my new main.

It is very good out of the box.

Upside:
-It is fast,
-controlable.
-Does not pop
-Nice sound
-Smooth
-Does not lock.

Downside:
-Corner twists occur
-Outer layer could maybe be more stable

[video=youtube_share;RBkLtfkHfUQ]http://youtu.be/RBkLtfkHfUQ[/video]

Soren333

Fast and great corner cutting but the thing that prevents this cube from being my main is the fact that it catches quite a bit. This is probably due to the fact that I have my tensions fairly loose and the cube is pretty fast, so my turning is not that great with this cube.

Archt

Where the puzzle was purchased: Local online shop here in the Philippines
When the puzzle was purchased: Not sure but roughly a month ago

Thoughts on the puzzle: This was my first "real" speedcube, my first main was a modded cube which was color white and have no idea whatsoever as to what brand it was. The Yulong is a great cube, yes I agree to some extent it's good for beginner speedcubers but I don't see why it can't be for experts. Out of the box, it's already fast and resembled the speed of an Aolong, but I had it in a looser tension so maybe that's it but I did tighten it and it lost its speed just by a small margin no biggie. It cuts corners pretty well whilst dry but once lubed it cut corners amazingly, and depending on the tension it could improve the cutting even more. The only downside is that it locks when dry or on really loose tensions which in comparison to the Aolong DOES not happen (I compare it to the Aolong so I can have a benchmark to rate the performance of the cube and I have one too :D) And it corner twists pretty easy on loose tensions especially if you've got big hands or hands that constantly get caught inside the cube when doing an R' or any squeezy algorithm. For beginners this is a really great cube, for the pros its more on personal preference, but I'd use this as my main if I had no other option. Great cube!

pyr14

WCA
2014SIME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: Cubezz/lighttake

When the puzzle was purchased: Cubezz:26/08/2014 DD/MM/YY and lightake 26/11/2014 DD/MM/YY

Thoughts on the puzzle: I had a zhanchi as my main for a while and it was getting to a point where it kinda died so I decided to buy the yulong as I felt the shengshou aurora from a friend and I liked the aurora but apparently the yulong was better. (cubezz)Out of the box, the yulong was great!!! but after a while it started to die down but you just have to lube it. I bought a white one from cubezz but I started to miss green because my zhanchi was green. (that was the reason I bought the zhanchi, just because it was green) so I decided to get 6 stickerless yulongs... yes another 6 from lightake but these stickerless didnt feel as good out of the box... they weren't really at the right tensions. So now my green yulong is my main. I just about every week lube it with maru.

Let's go into more detail for now.

pros (for me): Fast and loose feeling (unlike the aolong tight feeling), some people prefer one over the other
Rarely pops (you have to have the most vigorous turning ever)
After working it in a lot it cuts more than 45 degrees
it reverse corner cuts 3/4 of a cubie.

cons (for me): corner twists..... :(

Well yeah. Overall, I feel this cube is very underrated and is currently my main.

update 21/11/15: not my main, my main is the moyu hualong, i hate the yulong now. i still use my yulongs for BLIND (i just tightened them heaps and yeah, cause i dont need corner cutting in blind as i just use slow and accurate turning for blind.

Last edited:

DuckCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
[WIKI][/WIKI]I ordered a yulong and I currently own a Weilong. I get 26 avg. so I'm wondering if I should make the yulong my main or the Weilong

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
[WIKI][/WIKI]I ordered a yulong and I currently own a Weilong. I get 26 avg. so I'm wondering if I should make the yulong my main or the Weilong

I bought a YuLong and owned a Weilong, the Weilong is still one of my mains. However, some people really like the feel of the YuLong, so just try it out and see which one you like better. It doesn't matter what you average. It only matters which one feels better to you.

DuckCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I bought a YuLong and owned a Weilong, the Weilong is still one of my mains. However, some people really like the feel of the YuLong, so just try it out and see which one you like better. It doesn't matter what you average. It only matters which one feels better to you.

I know what the weilong feels like, how does the yulong feel like

DuckCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
This Cube has become my main. I have the stickered edition and it is great. I love the clicky feel. Those who like the weilong will like this cube. It's almost like the weilong, but is is much more controllable. Personally, I think this cube is good for people averaging around 35 seconds. Corner cutting is 45 degrees on tighter tensions and on looser tensions it can even go up to 50 degrees. The cube comes okay out of the box, but like most Moyu or yj cubes, you can fix that by breaking it in. Essentially, this cube boasts an extremely simple mechanism. I was very surprised by how well this cube performed, even with this very simple mechansim. Popping isn't an issue even on loose tensions. The cube is very stable and controllable. Corner twisting doesn't happen on looser or medium tensions but may happen sporadically on loose tensions. Overall this cube gets an A or an A+. Or a 97%

CubeCow

I like mu YJ Yulong stickerless cube.
Once lubricated, it corner cuts like a boss, and has smooth turning that still has a crispy sound.
The problems with this cube are corner twists, and overshooting, but like I said earlier, it can corner cut well, so overshooting isn't too much of any issue.

CubeCow

I like mu YJ Yulong stickerless cube.
Once lubricated, it corner cuts like a boss, and has smooth turning that still has a crispy sound.
The problems with this cube are corner twists, and overshooting, but like I said earlier, it can corner cut well, so overshooting isn't too much of any issue.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
With the new sticker less plastic, this cube's need to be lubed has gone away. This new plastic is slicker and results in much better turning and more responsive corner cutting on looser tensions.

There is no viable reason why dye in the plastic would lead to those kind of results. I want to do a blinded test but I don't think any 'true believers' would accept the results.

It is far more likely IMO that you are comparing a brand new cube to an old cube and that's where the difference is coming from. I just put some 85 wt in my YuLongs and now they are incredible.

Last edited: