• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] YJ 5x5x5

What do you think about this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Average

• Below Average

• Poor

• Total voters

rasiel

I just posted the following review on Amazon:

You can do worse but this isn't the best cube for the money. The worst thing about this cube is the cheap build quality which is evident in the plastic seams of some of the cubes not coming fully together. It's not just a cosmetic fault because as you turn the sides these seams sometimes "catch" against neighboring cubes and if done fast enough can potentially rip out the cube or snap the lid off entirely. Other observations:

Pros: The perfect size for average hands at 61mm. Outer layer and two-layers-at-once turns are very smooth without any need of additional lubing or retensioning. Weight of 4.7oz (134g) is light and pleasant.

Neutral: Stickers are okay overall. They are textured with a matte finish that is meant to be grippier than glossy stickers but the benefit is wasted since you can't speedcube it anyway. The color contrast is good but not excellent with the weak link being the blue which is too dark and doesn't stand out enough from the black.

Cons: Cheaply built as stated. Very unforgiving as far as alignment is concerned so speed cubing is pretty much impossible. Corner cutting is marginal at best at approximately a quart of a corner piece forward and ZERO backwards; if you push it it'll be a lockup (or worse). Some of the stickers were off center and skewed from the factory but after re-centering them at least they held in place. Inner slicing is much less smooth than the outer ones with considerable friction and a clicky/scratchy feel.

Summary: I wanted to like this cube. The thing will lock up if you try anything faster than slo-mo. It hasn't popped only because you have to treat it so gingerly that that's not a real concern! So I'd say the design is better than the execution. It's as if the engineering team delivered a good product on paper but the managers gave the contract to the lowest bidder. At ten bucks it's not a terrible choice but you can definitely do better.

Ras

rasiel

Just trying to add some info for others guys. I noticed this one hadn't been reviewed yet. I have one of the new 5x5 stickerless QiYi cubes on the way.