• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Would you paint a cube or buy one painted (instead of stickered)?

What do you think about painting cubes?

• No painted cubes for me!

Votes: 24 66.7%
  • I would paint a cube.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I would buy a painted cube.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • I've painted a cube.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Painting is too much work or too expensive.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • I'd paint if I knew how to do it.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Other opinions...

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

CarlBrannen

WCA
2013BRAN01
Multiple choice poll.

I've been busily painting my favorite speed cubes. Anyone else doing it or interested?

Advantages of painted cubes:
(1) No more stickers to peel and have to replace.
(2) Infinite choices in colors, textures, gloss, etc.
(3) Put your phone number on your cube so you might get it back.
(4) Choose a surface which sticks to your fingers better (or is more smooth or whatever).
(5) A better looking cube.
(6) Legal for competition.

Last edited:

CarlBrannen

WCA
2013BRAN01
I painted a Megaminx and a Guhong V1 last spring. Since then I switched to a 55mm Zhanchi. I just painted five 3x3s, three 5x5s and a 7x7. Here's the color scheme:

PaintedCubes.jpg

P.S. How do you get images to show up in line?

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Everyone in this trread, ever heard of the mini Diansheng cube ? It was released in 2009, and it has painted faces. And unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem because the paint wears off quickly.

CarlBrannen

WCA
2013BRAN01
I use fingernail paints because they're cheap at the Dollar Tree. But eventually they will wear off so I top coat with spray varnish. In fact, I do a lot of solves on the cube with just the fingernail paints (before varnishing) so that it has more time to dry out and also they lose the sharp edges left by masking. You can use a varnish that is suitable for floor surfaces and believe me, that will not wear off under any reasonable use.

By the way, the rule for putting paint on in layers is "LEV", i.e. lacquer then enamel and finally varnish. Fingernail paints are lacquer, so you can over coat them with more lacquer, enamel, or varnish.

To get the lines straight you pretty much have to mask. I use Scotch Magic Transparent tape. Note this is different from a slightly cheaper variety, Scotch Transparent. Because I use tape (cut into strips) for masking, it doesn't take much more time to do a 7x7x7 than a 3x3x3x. To cut the tape into strips I use razor blades held at a fixed distance from a flat surface. I think there are probably better ways.

Also, the sparkly paints do have a different texture, after drying, than the others. So I paint them extra thick and sand them flat before putting on the varnish coat.