• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Would a missing washer hurt a cube's performance?

WCA
2017ANDE05
I'm gonna be completely honest with you...I have no idea what will happen for sure. Although I have a good prediction of what I think would happen. I don't think it would have much effect on the cube's performance, but it might make that side scratchy and kind of crunchy. And worst case scenario (keep in mind that this is very unlikely to happen) is that the screw erodes away at the center piece, causing plastic dust to accumulate in the piece and go everywhere, and after about 2,000-5,000 solves, the screw would actually erode all the way through the center piece and essentially push it off. But the chances of this happening are about 1 in 100,000. It shouldn't have much effect. But if it does strip away at the center piece, then you might want to order a replacement part from thecubicle.us. If anything else happens you're not sure about, then feel free to contact me.

WCA
2016SCHU05
In my experience, earlier cubes were almost always missing a washer or two. My C4Y DIY cubes, both Zhanchis, and even my Shuang Ren just didn't have everything there. I only really noticed it when I was cleaning and lubricating them, so you should be fine.

That being said, you really should still try to find it, because even if it won't be major, the spring will definitely wear away the plastic faster than a washer. That, and the fact that it's a lot more difficult to eliminate spring noise when the spring is digging into a much softer material.

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
channel/UCXxvOAAJVVoR7UfjeAv_bjA
Would leaving it like that eventually make the side turn badly?
Not really. The spring might dig into the center peice a little bit, but nothing serious. It might sound a bit springy-er, but you shouldn't feel much difference, if at all.

But if it does strip away at the center piece, then you might want to order a replacement part from thecubicle.us.
Or you could buy a washer at a hardware store for like $.30 instead of ordering a single washer online and paying for shipping...

WCA
2017MORT01
My moyu tanglong was missing a washer, and it didnt really hurt the cube's preformance, as moyu washers are thin. However, if you are planning on using the yan3 as your main, i would plan on replacing that washer as soon as possible to reduce the wear on the center.

WCA
2015WINT02
YouTube
Ghost Cuber
I lost one of the washer's of my Yan3 while tensioning it. Would leaving it like that eventually make the side turn badly? I hope it turns up, but it is a tiny, metal piece that could've gone anywhere in my room.​
I have an MF3RS that came with 2 sets of washers installed, and it uses the same washers as the Yan. PM me with your address and I will send one for free.

it might make that side scratchy and kind of crunchy
I have removed the washers from my yuxin little magic m. I lubed the screw with moyu v3 lube which is a heavy lube, so it doesn't feel scratchy or springy. However, it becomes very crunchy, and I love the crunchy feel. Anything about maintenance of my yuxin little magic m that I have to aware of?