• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Worst Decision/ Idea you've ever had during your cubing career?

Myachii

WCA
2013MORR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
After browsing through many reviews, I decided to buy a full size SS 7x7 instead of a Mini 7x7. Big mistake.
I can't get any better at it and the time it takes me to solve it has put me off 7x7 completely.
I'm getting a MoYu 7x7 for Christmas, but I've had to cope with this one for the best part of a year.

What bad ideas/decisions have you guys made regarding cubing? Did you buy a horrible cube, use Vaseline as a lubricant, or do anything that you regret?

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I tried to use superglue to fix a peeling sticker on my 7x7, and ended with two edges glued together. I had to stick a pair of scissors between the edges and twist really hard to separate them.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I never learned a good way of pairing edges on 4x4x4, and since I've been solving a 4x4x4 the same way for 7 years, I have trouble switching to Yau.
I pair edges similarly on 5x5x5 (pretty much in whatever order I see them), but I don't think it hurts my times nearly as much as it does for 4x4x4.

Myachii

WCA
2013MORR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I regret switching to Roux so late.
Another thing that I'm now thinking was a bad idea was getting a SS 6x6 last Christmas. Last Ao5 I did I got 6 pops. I almost never use it.

As a not-very-proud owner of a SS 6x6, I agree, which is why I'm also getting a MoYu version ASAP.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Waiting so long to really speedcube was a pretty big mistake. I've been cubing for nearly 9 years. But for the first 7 years, I never learned anything new, never bought anything but a Rubik's Brand (I have 5 [1 was lost]), and my times never went much below 30 seconds. I've been speedcubing for the last 2 years and now I'm a 16 second solver. Can only imagine where I'd be if I was serious about it this whole time.

Hssandwich

WCA
2013SAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I regret switching to Roux so late.
Another thing that I'm now thinking was a bad idea was getting a SS 6x6 last Christmas. Last Ao5 I did I got 6 pops. I almost never use it.

Your using roux as your main method now?!

Also, bringing my cube into school. Too much attention and my main (a zhanchi at the time) kept popping when other people used it.

Andreaillest

Premium Member
WCA
2012PANY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Been cubing for years now and I still too lazy to learn full OLL and New tricks. I should have learned them when I was younger, had more time on my hands and motivated.

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Turning with my ring finger for OH. I doubt I'll ever get much faster than a 13.x official average simply because of how bad my turning style is.

Another bad one was using keyboard for 2x2 so much that I had to actually learn how to pick up a cube fast, which really held me back earlier the year, and I've only been able to get nice comp averages as of the last few months (At my last 3 comps alone I got 4 averages faster than my 1.96 former OcR, 3 of which were sub 1.9x and one of which would have been without a +2).

Overall I can't really complain though, since my progress has been fairly constant and I'm a pretty well rounded cuber now if I may say so myself.

Last edited:

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
not having learned lefty U2 doubleflick when i started and not having learned U2 and R2 doubleflicks when i started onehanded... its so ****ing hard now...

also, having used CFOP for way too long, the CFOp thinking still affects my blockbuilding today