• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

World Championships Experience Thread!

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think that its a good idea to make a thread for all the experiences people had (did you know, comments, etc.) I'm way too tired to do it now, but I'll add my .02€ when I get back to the states.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey Dan, did you know...

...that you're amazing at so many events?
...that Worlds was quite an intense competition?
...that despite so many WRs, 3x3x3 average was not broken as it has been so many times this year?
...that your WR count went up?

I can't wait to see how well this thread does. :D

Tyson

WCA
2004MAOT02
Good stuff all around. Heading to the airport with Rowe Hessler in a bit. Gotta go wake up Bob...

I am probably motivated now to lube my cubes... for the first time since 2005.

Zava

WCA
2007BERN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh my god.

Which lube will you use?

hungarian lube, haha

did you know that...
cubers from everywhere can swear in hungarian, bazdmeg?
I missed multi bld podium by picking up my last cube with the wrong orientation (so congrats to SK who came third)
that Breandan can now afford to come to hungarian open? :)

maybe more to come, but I really need to sleep

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
WC was amazingly cool. The venue was really nice, the 2.5 by 2.5 metres posters that you could see all around the city of Düsseldorf were so cool :D I am very happy I got a little poster from the wall that's hanging proudly at my wall here :)

So... results :p hmm

2x2: I was just not good enough for a podium place, 4th was all it could be for me I guess. Congrats to Rowe! Btw, got the same scramble at the 2nd solve in the finals so timed it again for fun but gave told the judge.
4x4: I am PISSED at myself.. already messed up one solve and then at the last solve.. after the cross there was a 3 move pair, but I thought centres were wrong, fixed it but it turned out they were correct! So ... bye pair and bye 5 seconds to fix.
5x5: I did horrible in the finals, look ahead was left at home I guess, but Dan deserved to win.
6x6: I somehow lost my 6x6 at my gf's place, borrowed Tobi Christliebs 6x6. So 7x7 I practiced, but 6x6 I hate.. SOMEHOW I did a 2:37!!! And ended 3rd with sub-3 avg :) :) :)
7x7: messed up, I did 7x7 at the very end of the day and my hands just didn't cooperate.
pyra: bit bad, but didn't stand a chance of course.
clock: started good with 10, 10, 11, then bad...
mega: horrible 2nd solve, should've gotten a sub-55 in the last solve if I didn't lock up a million times on LL and do the 5 cycle correct...

FMC: 32 moves, time used: 5 minutes, and 10 to check correctness... I'm steadily becoming better
feet: that was ok, horrible unnecessary u4 (yes a small u) in the middle of PLL but Yumu was faster anyway.
BLD: FAIL :D 2x 2 edges to flip, fastest time was 1:49
sq-1: weird puzzle

360: it was fun, still got sub-2 after months of not touching it.

3x3 then:
first 2 rounds were pretty disastrous, but at least it was sufficient to get to the finals. In the finals it was consistent but not fast, the last solve was good since everyone was going crazy for Breandan and I already had a 14 standing so 11 was good then. I was surprised to still get 2nd with 11.52 but nonetheless pretty happy with it.
Congrats to Breandan, really he deserved it!

Did you know?

- Nem vagyok buzi :p
- People thought twice I was from the USA??? (once by some Turkish dutch guys and once by a camera guy from New Zealand who worked for German TV)
- Dan Dzoan is cool?
- Chris Dzoan is cool too?
- I still don't like Dan Cohen? ;) although I promised him I'll use big cubes edges for 5x5 and Robs 4x4 method from now on?
- Durben is... small? :D
- Breandan is... fast?
- Jumbo Holland is maybe getting some more money for cubing because of WC and my 2nd place after a year of... 'no we don't have money since we spend it on the revolution'?
- Koen Wermer got what he deserved?
- Aswell as Kai, Oliver Perge and Rowe?
- It's very handy to be able to actually speak German well?
- I hereby acknowledge Lucas Garron as a real German? :D
- Lucas is cool? :)
- Syuhei is even taller than me??? And that he is very friendly, cool and his English is good for a Japanese guy?
- They payed like... 100 dollars for their competition shirts?
- The WC shirts of this year didn't contain 80% advertisement?
- They should get them in size S though (my gf complained :p )
- Mosaic building makes time fly?
- Tysons inbetween session of mystery events was great? Aswell as the AWESOME knock-out game (I lost the 3rd race against Yohei Oka :( )
- I miss everyone crazily much? (except for Dan Cohen of course.. it's Hoegaarden!)
- Eric is a wonderful guy too? And there will always be one more hug for him :)
- I probably have about 30 cube shirts now?
- Timothy Sun is awesomely cool? :)
- Arnaud and me made sure that Adam actually got more guy kisses than girl kisses?

Last edited:

KJiptner

WCA
2007JIPT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, what an amazing weekend.

The highlight for me was Breandans 3x3 performance in the finals. I was very excited to see him winning because he has had a lot of bad luck in past competitions. Congratulations to him, he clearly deserves it (I was standing near Breandans mom while spectating the finals, that made it even more exciting ;))

My BLD events:
Multi 9/14: I'll upload a video showing the cubes after the attempt later (made it to reconstruct my mistakes) I was very happy for Tim to win this (more happy than he was himself ;P ). Nice that Dennis took 2nd place, without practicing equally much at all.

4x4 BLD: I was feeling totally secure that I would get decent solve within those 2 attempts. 7:02,66 I was quite happy with this but didn't think it was enough to win. When I asked Rafal and Chris about their result and figured out I won I was getting totally excited. World Champion at something... yay! First thing to do with the prize money: Invite a couple of friends to dinner this evening. Celebration :)

5x5 BLD: Couldn't focus anymore. Too much BLD that day. Horrible time: 22min with a center 3 cycle off. Would have been 2nd place but oh well. (Ironically Tim and Dennis were off by a center 3-cycle on their attempts as well) I didn't attempt one more because I was just too tired after all this BLD and had no good journeys left.

3x3 BLD:
First round. National TV in right front of me. First one secure. 1:47. Relief. Second one. Risk a bit more. 1:15.00. Yes finally broke the baaad 1:34 (not back then of course) from Worlds 07 after 2 years.
Second round. I was very nervous. First one secure. 1:46. Relief. But couldn't top it. Did bad on the 2nd scramble. Tried to rush the 3rd (really hard scramble) didn't work very well. Okay 6th place.

Very cool: Ryosuke gave me a Void cube as a present out of nowhere. Thank you very much! I will try to make a good BLD video with it (one with void-parity of course ;))

I've made a lot of new friends and was happy to see lot's of people again after 2 years.
I'd like to thank all the organizers for making this awesome competition possible!

p.s. I realized again that Chris Hardwick deserves the world record for beeing nice.

Last edited:

Rama

WCA
2006TEMM01
Here is my OH result:
dsc01942.jpg

Sin-H

WCA
2007HUBE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
epic competition!

but I failed at 3x3 :/

some other facts:
- nobody can solve my cube. It's too fragile.
- Erik and me R0Q @ team solving.
- Milán and me did too few team solves.
- slightly drunk cubing with Andrew Kang is awesome!
- Breandan was sleeping on the floor in my room. Hard grounds ftw, obviously.
- The new running gag when someone did not too god is: "NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!" [do a whip stroke with your hand] [himym :p]
- I already miss you all!!!
- I have way too little competition experience.
- I am in mid-cubing-career crisis now?

Yes We Can!

WCA
2009DIEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I loved the competition so much!!!
Great venue and also very awesome organisation!
Thanks to all the organizers!
The greatest moment was Breandan getting the 9.63 at his last solve!!!

did you know:
-that the v-cubes stand sold gigaminxes for 20€ on friday?
-that the gigaminxes a cubikon cost 60€ ? :eek:
-I broke my first record!! at magic.
- that I got my ultimate PB at 4x4!!
my first sub-1: 51.66 with 25 seconds reduction
-that I have 2 rubik's 360s now :p
-that I have Yu nakajima's competition sheet for OH :p
-Maarten is awesome at BLD and FMC!
-everyone was so nice!
-that I'm very upset the competition is over :(
-that I'm also happy I had a great time there!

EDIT:
Wow, that's a nice 500th post :)

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wonder what that music was they played during the opening ceremony... I want it :p

anyone?

dyk:
- people apparently don't understand it when Dan and me talk big cube stuff?
- sachi left her drinking... device in my parent's car?
- arnaud clearly wins on parking as illegal as possible?
- our (or my) plans on enough sleep/drinking/healthy food didn't go as expected?

WCA
2008SMIT04
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Disco Boys - I Came For You.

Did you know:
- Guus has a really cool method?
- He does F2L on green?
- I didn't get a trophy for FMC because the organization team didn't count on a split 3rd place?
- Cornelius thinks I'm awesome at BLD and FMC?
- I'm really not?
- Erik didn't understand that he got in 2nd place for 3x3?
- He already had left the hall when he heard he was in top-3?
- The second scramble on 3x3BLD in the first round was incredibly lucky; it had 3 corner targets and a twisted corner?
- I got an almost NR on clock single, (8.90, NR was 8.84), but after all it wasn't that bad because Koen got 8.18 anyway?
- Koen is the first ever Dutch world champion?
- His megaminx fails really hard though?