• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Wondering which method to use

Bad Cuber

So im a new cuber who can get around 1:10 but i stutter alot when doing algorithms so if anyone can help me with my stutter problem on 3x3 and find a method that i can get sub 40 to sub 30

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Why did you post 2 threads asking the same question?

Anyway, you can get sub-40 with almost any method as long as you work on your lookahead; even beginner's.

I would recommend you look at ZZ, CFOP, Roux, PCMS and AB/SSC/ECE (these three are the same but with a few names).

I was pointed towards this playlist posted by DeeDub, who is a member here. It's an introduction to Roux, which as mafergut said, is mostly an intuitive method.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
the problem with CFOP is that at around 20 seconds, its hard to see where to improve. But with roux, you can see exactly where you are slow and try to improve that aspect of your solve. CFOP its harder to get to sub-15 at the sub-20 barrier; Roux is much easier to improve upon

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a theory about why CFOP is popular and all the WR's are set by it:
if the community of people that compete at WCA competitions is 100 people, then lets say about 1 person use roux and one person uses ZZ. everyone else uses CFOP. lets say that of the 10 fastest people, only 1 of them has a chance of hitting a world record or at least winning a competition.
so for roux wining national championship approx.:
.01*.01*.1=.00001 or .1% chance or a roux/ZZ solver ever getting good enough to win a championship.

adimare

WCA
2011MARE02
I have a theory about why CFOP is popular and all the WR's are set by it:
if the community of people that compete at WCA competitions is 100 people, then lets say about 1 person use roux and one person uses ZZ. everyone else uses CFOP. lets say that of the 10 fastest people, only 1 of them has a chance of hitting a world record or at least winning a competition.
so for roux wining national championship approx.:
.01*.01*.1=.00001 or .1% chance or a roux/ZZ solver ever getting good enough to win a championship.
Aside from the fact that you made up all the statistics for this post, your math is wrong.

OT: CFOP or Roux are your best bets. If you really dislike algs, I'd recommend learning CFOP and then switching to ZZ since it only requires 28 algs for a 2 look last layer (with CFOP you need 78 algs for a 2 look last layer, and with Roux you need 40 for 1 look CMLL).

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Aside from the fact that you made up all the statistics for this post, your math is wrong.

OT: CFOP or Roux are your best bets. If you really dislike algs, I'd recommend learning CFOP and then switching to ZZ since it only requires 28 algs for a 2 look last layer (with CFOP you need 78 algs for a 2 look last layer, and with Roux you need 40 for 1 look CMLL).
CMLL can be solved with only 24 algs according to gilles roux.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel

It took me 2 months to even understand EOline, let alone solve even the EO in inspection(no matter how long)

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
the problem with CFOP is that at around 20 seconds, its hard to see where to improve. But with roux, you can see exactly where you are slow and try to improve that aspect of your solve. CFOP its harder to get to sub-15 at the sub-20 barrier; Roux is much easier to improve upon
If that's true for you, I imagine you're not looking hard enough.

Sion

I am a PCMS solver, but I recommend Roux. Getting a good understanding of the cube through intuitie solving will help you find ways to get faster other than opening up a webpage to look for algorithms. Not to mention it looks so gorgeous when you use it.

wir3sandfir3s

I am a PCMS solver, but I recommend Roux. Getting a good understanding of the cube through intuitie solving will help you find ways to get faster other than opening up a webpage to look for algorithms. Not to mention it looks so gorgeous when you use it.
Dude you should post some PCMS on the example solve game thread, that would be interesting as there aren't many people who use it as their main.

Just so I'm not irrelevant to this thread, I would recommend checking out CFOP first then exploring other method once you get sub 1.

adimare

WCA
2011MARE02
It took me 2 months to even understand EOline, let alone solve even the EO in inspection(no matter how long)
That's why I didn't recommend learning ZZ right away. It makes more sense to start with CFOP and switching after you're used to F2L and actually get a speed boost from not having to rotate the cube during F2L.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I tried CFOP. I also tried ZZ, and petrus. I would have used petrus as my main method, except that the EO is terrible.

so I switched to roux. And now of all the few dozen methods ive learned, roux is the fastest.
JTWong, has gotten sub-10 with roux using 2-look CMLL, which is 9 algorithms. for an entire method, thats really nice.

JTWong71

so I switched to roux. And now of all the few dozen methods ive learned, roux is the fastest.
JTWong, has gotten sub-10 with roux using 2-look CMLL, which is 9 algorithms. for an entire method, thats really nice.
Also noting that that was around a 15 Move, Two Blocks Solution.
The L6E was also really easy, being that EO was solved and the L/R Edges were two moves away from being solved.