• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Will a better cube give you FASTER solvetimes?

Akuma

WCA
2010COST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've seen countless of videos on YouTube where people get out of their way to make their cube "better". I've seen people saying that the first thing you should do when speedcubing is spending $30 on cube+shipping on a good "speedcube".

Countless of videos on how to "improve" store-bought cubes to "DIY quality" by doing all kinds of things exist on YouTube.

Here is my video response to all those people who claim that a better cube gives you faster solvetimes:

Please rate and comment my video. I am interested to hear your opinion on the matter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYp8vbNdm4A

Cheers
// Marty

Akuma

WCA
2010COST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am sorry, but the C4U cube I have is the "shittiest cube I have for serveral reasons:

* It has the slowest turning speed due to the weird cubie-shells it has which gives it the largest contact surface. The Store-bought one nor the YJ 3x3x3 has that.

* It pops often

I am not saying C4U are the worst kind of shitty cubes out there. But from my collection that is the one I dislike the most.

ALSO if you watched the ENTIRE VIDEO you would see that I got the FASTEST solvetimes with it.

tjyahl

WCA
2009YAHL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
techinically no, if you dont look ahead at all its not going to make much of a difference at all, but if your constantly looking ahead you know what to do and gives you the freedom of moving faster, and it would help either way but some cubes i have that arnt so good i get better times on then the ones that are supposivly faster

Akuma

WCA
2010COST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here is what pisss me off.
Just because in my humble opinion the C4U is the worst one I have you think I'm a complete idiot and the entire experiment invalid.

You are entirely missing the point: Regardless of which cube you use your solvetime isn't significantly affected. Regardless if you think C4U is shitty or not, it din't affect my avg that much and my PB was identical.

I seen a lot of people with my avg OR slower claim that you need a hella better cube to solve faster which is entirely flawed - thus the entire point of my video.

Johan444

WCA
2010SLDJ01
No, your "scientific" experiment is invalid because of your ridiculously small sample size among a lot of other factors.

DT546

you don't have to make a huge effort to mod a rubiks brand as you said in the video, also this kinda summed that video up

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly, I tried to watch that. But in the first 4 minutes you repeated the same stuff over about 10 times. Then you started playing some crap music. I gave up at that stage. Without watching that video fully though, I can say that the cube one likes is personal preference. Most cubes can be good. However, I don't see a storebought cube getting the WR anymore.

Zarxrax

Your times have so much spread that its impossible to tell if any of them helps you at all.
Also, having a nice cube isn't just about whether or not it's faster. It's a matter of comfort. I want my cube to do exactly what my brain is trying to get it to do. If I'm having to fight against my cube to make it do what I want, then I would probably get fed up with cubing. (for instance, I hardly ever do 4x4x4 because my eastsheen locks up on half of my turns, so by the time I finish one solve, I am pissed off enough that I don't feel like solving it again)

Olivér Perge

WCA
2007PERG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I compelety agree with the part that you shouldn't blame your cube untill you reach a certain limit. I remember I used my crappy Studio cube (no, not storebought, it was worse then that) untill I was like sub-20.

You need good cubes when every 0.1 counts to your average but that doesn't mean that Breandan, Erik or Feliks couldn't do for example 11-12 average with a bad cube.

Finding the best speedcube for you is hard, considering that all the types of cubes can be bad or good. (For example I've tried terrible type F or C cubes, however I've tried amazing cubes from the same type too.) You need to practice with the cube you have in my opinion.

Dfgged

YouTube
Visit Channel
I compelety agree with the part that you shouldn't blame your cube untill you reach a certain limit. I remember I used my crappy Studio cube (no, not storebought, it was worse then that) untill I was like sub-20.

You need good cubes when every 0.1 counts to your average but that doesn't mean that Breandan, Erik or Feliks couldn't do for example 11-12 average with a bad cube.

Finding the best speedcube for you is hard, considering that all the types of cubes can be bad or good. (For example I've tried terrible type F or C cubes, however I've tried amazing cubes from the same type too.) You need to practice with the cube you have in my opinion.
Completely right.