• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Wiki?

Kenneth

Not Alot
WCA
2005GUST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had this idéa for a while. Why not start a wiki for cubing?

I know, there was the wikicube hosted by Kirjava but that one was more or less a wikipedia for cubes, an encyclopedia.

I was thinking of a diffrent usage for the wiki, to colloect algs and make toturials, pages that we all can help to create.

Take a look at the PLL alg collection here at speedsolving, it has got a huge number of PLL algs but it is not wery easy to overview the collection. If we had a wiki they would all be joined in one page (or at sub pages for each case or group of cases).

Imagine a Fridrich tutorial written and improved by all the pros that are using the method :)

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
This one has been started: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4700 but hasn't gained a terrible ammount of traction. It hasn't been publicized too much, nor have many people contributed.

I think PJK was interested in potentially adding it to speedsolving.com if it gained enough traction or once he had the time to get it up. Ron also wanted to set one up for competition officials, possibly on the WCA site.

Last edited:

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
I had this idéa for a while. Why not start a wiki for cubing?

I know, there was the wikicube hosted by Kirjava but that one was more or less a wikipedia for cubes, an encyclopedia.

I was thinking of a diffrent usage for the wiki, to colloect algs and make toturials, pages that we all can help to create.

Take a look at the PLL alg collection here at speedsolving, it has got a huge number of PLL algs but it is not wery easy to overview the collection. If we had a wiki they would all be joined in one page (or at sub pages for each case or group of cases).

Imagine a Fridrich tutorial written and improved by all the pros that are using the method :)

Funny you should bring it up now when the wheels are in motion :)
I, of course, fully agree.
We'll see what happens. This time when we release it I will also advertise it on YouTube, there are many cubers there that are not active within this forum, and I have a feeling that many of them will want to contribute.

hawkmp4

Silly idea.
But what if you put a sticky in all the forums, telling people that if they answer a question, to please update the wiki and link the topic creator to the appropriate wiki page to answer their question?
This would make adding information a lot easier, I think, because if someone is going to take the time to write a well thought out post answering a question it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to put it in the wiki.
This way, all the content stays relevant and up to date and really is catered to the needs of the community.

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
Silly idea.
But what if you put a sticky in all the forums, telling people that if they answer a question, to please update the wiki and link the topic creator to the appropriate wiki page to answer their question?
This would make adding information a lot easier, I think, because if someone is going to take the time to write a well thought out post answering a question it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to put it in the wiki.
This way, all the content stays relevant and up to date and really is catered to the needs of the community.

I'm not sure how far pjk wants to take things, but this may be a little bit too far. Not everything has to end up on the wiki.

we must have a good idea of strengths and weaknesses of both Forums and Wiki pages. The goal of a wiki is to provide information. The goal of a forum is not only to provide that information but to also facilitate the discussion that often ensues.

This forum has a search function just like the wiki does, and it stores content just like the wiki does. If you want to make a really well thought out post on some very specific subject, it is probably best to first make the page on wiki, if you feel it deserves one, and then link the person to it. But there is nothing wrong in linking people to old threads about useful topics that already took place on this forum in the past.