• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why X sucks

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Making a series to combat a personal bugbear of mine.

To quote the description: "I got tired of people only comparing pros of methods when comparing them so here's the antidote to that."

So far I'm five videos in:

And here's the playlist for the whole series

Feel free to suggest music and other methods! :)

Last edited:

efattah

That's really weird, I have been thinking along the same lines (comparing drawbacks), and I was even thinking of making similar videos! However I think you missed a bunch of drawbacks. For Roux; difficult block building, non-fingertricky first block, CMLL recognition time, bad cases for last slot, bad LSE cases, mentally tiring intuitive solving, etc...

For CFOP, high move count, difficulty in being color neutral, extremely bad PLL cases (21+ moves)...

Last edited:

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
However I think you missed a bunch of drawbacks. For Roux; difficult block building
For Roux? Compared to other methods by no means is Roux difficult.
non-fingertricky first block
No worse than any other first step. In fact, it is easily possible to find nice short fingertrickable blocks so lon as you are ol with not move optimal.
CMLL recognition time
No worse than most (and definitely better than some) alg sets
bad cases for last slot
Compared to other methods? Roux LS (if and when you do an LS) is significantly better than most other methods
bad LSE cases
Such as? None seems so bad to me that they need to be mentioned by themselves.
mentally tiring intuitive solving
This is one I can partially are with. I would, however, point out that most of the solves you can do with roux are more or less braindead with weird cases where you need to do mentally taxing stuff being very rare.
For CFOP, high move count,
This comes under "inefficient LL". The rest of CFOP isn't actually too bad especially in SQTM.
difficulty in being color neutral
Compared to other methods??
extremely bad PLL cases (21+ moves)
Again under "inefficient LL". I do use a 20+ move N-perm.
What did you meant by weird alg ergonomics?
Some of the PLL fingertricks are really weird (I do use a purposely weird H-perm though :p).

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Do methods for other cubes like, yau, freeslice, roux and screw, that other squan method, that skewb method etc...
Will do! But I've got quite a few other methods for 3x3 which need to be covered first (like mine).

Eventually I might even do non-methods things if I really get annoyed by something or run out of ideas/methods.