• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why It's Almost Impossible to Solve a Rubik's Cube in Under 3 Seconds | WIRED

ch_ts

Guys, don't get hung up over the title whether it's really actually impossible or almost impossible or nearly impossible or just difficult but possible... Anyway, if you're not familiar with the series, it's something like "Even against physical and physiological limits, humans are capable of impressive and amazing things." I like how the guy actually attempts and trains in the activities in his videos, and I enjoyed the interviews with Tom, Tyson, and Feliks. The other videos in the series are worth checking out too.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Leave it to SS forums to get caught up on the most minor detail when the video itself is insanely good and overall a massive net positive in terms of visibility and growth of the sport.
We're an exacting bunch, it should come as no surprise :).

But yeah, it's nearly impossible to find anything mainstream that doesn't contain errors and perpetuate myths. In 15 minutes I can't recall a single mistake in this production, hats off for research and fact checking.

Etotheipi

It was a good video. I really like that he actually learned how to solve the cube and talk to experts, but in some parts he kind of threw more intuitive methods like Roux under the bus by saying how the key to being fast was algs, and didn't talk at all about the intuitive parts of a solve.

EMI

WCA
2011RHEI01
YouTube
EMI94100
Technically, no proof exists that it's possible to solve Rubik's Cube in under 3 seconds
If you accept that it's possible to perform R U in under three seconds, then you have to accept that it is possible. There is a small, but non-zero chance of a two-move scramble appearing at a competition, which makes it, by definition, possible.

By the way, I like the video a lot :D