• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Why do I do better in comp than at home?

GAN 356 X

After attending my first comp in Epping I came home with a 17.xx average under my belt. I had a break from timed solves on Monday then just did and ao12 on 3x3 and got a 22.28 average and several DNFs and +2s. Why is this? Is it because of the added pressure makes me perform to my true potential?

I am really confused and annoyed at my current performance, thanks in advance

Cool! I’ll just guess.
1. Maybe the fact that you are competing against other people makes you have a sort of a... drive/motivation to beat them? Whereas at home, you don’t have a specific competitor (other than trying to get better times).
2. The excitement at the competition makes you have more adrenaline, which makes your performance better.
3. Perhaps stress ‘fuels’ you and makes you do better in competitions.
Then again, this is just my hypothesis, hope it helps! :)

Skewbed

WCA
2015LYON01
The same thing happens to me.
I got a 13.50 average on 3x3 at US Nationals 2019, when I normally averaged just under 15 seconds at the time.
I think that it happens because I spend more time making sure I am ready for each solve, and more time on inspection.

MarkA64

After attending my first comp in Epping I came home with a 17.xx average under my belt. I had a break from timed solves on Monday then just did and ao12 on 3x3 and got a 22.28 average and several DNFs and +2s. Why is this? Is it because of the added pressure makes me perform to my true potential?

There's plenty of psychological and practical reasons for this. Also there is a matter of perception of time.

For a lot of cubers, those few solves in comp are what matters most and what they are looking forward to. This would be my guess for the main reason.

Last edited:

CodingCuber

WCA
2019HERR14
I’m sort of the opposite. When I went to my first comp I got terrible times, I forgot to start the timer, I stuffed up solves. I found the pressure hard to deal with, but now that I have experienced a comp I think I will do alright at Melbourne Summer 2020.

Also mabye you feel more relaxed at home knowing that none of your results will matter.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11

I am kind of the same. At home, I average around 22 seconds, just like you. At my last comp, I got a 20.15 average and a 20.20 average. I think that a lot or all of the factors that people have said probably contribute to this.

GAN 356 X

After reading through what you guys have said, I have a quick question. Do you think taking each solve slower and trying to stimulate a comp style environment at home will help? For example warming up before hand and taking everything slower, so one solve takes say 1-2 mins including wrm up compared to around 40 seconds?