• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why am I so bad at PLL recognition?

Pestilence

I am a ~30s solver on a good day. I use CFOP and I know 4LLL and intuitive F2L (obviously I'm far from perfect at that, but I understand it). I'm trying to learn PLL as my next set of algs, and while I am able to learn the algs relatively easily, when it comes to recognition I am abnormally slow.

I've been using bestsiteever to practice the ones I know before learning even more (I don't know G, N, R, V, Y), but it feels like I'm not getting any faster. Sometimes it takes me 5+ seconds just to figure out what PLL it is (I'm even looking at all sides, since my goal right now is just to learn it - 2 sided recog can come later).

Has anyone else experienced this when they first started learning PLL? Is drilling practice at bestsite the best way to improve? Any other tips?

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah that’s a fairly common problem that usually will go away with time and practice. Eventually you recognize the patterns of colors based on where things are and when you get more advanced you can use deduction to determine PLL faster. Something I’d recommend you do is take the algorithms you know or can learn easily like the t or j-a perm and practice doing the algorithm as fast as possible on a side, look at the pattern, then execute the algorithm again. Then do a U move and repeat until you’ve gone all the way around the cube so you get used to seeing the patterns from every side and k ow exactly what algorithm to do. That way you create a mental path so when you see the pattern you automatically know what to do. Just make sure that you learn good PLL Algs now so you don’t have to relearn any later! Just take your time learning the algs and you’ll be done no problem! Best of luck!

Pestilence

It's good to hear that it's not just me. I haven't heard anyone talk about this sort of thing, so I wasn't sure (of course I'm sure some are better than others).

Your idea to connect the alg to recognition in practice is a good one. Most of the time when I'm spamming algs it's true that I'm not focused much on recog. But connecting the two with my muscle memory is a great idea. Thanks for the reply!

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
No problem! I’d definitely spend some time practicing the last layer slowly so you can develop the recognition. Then you’ll be able to spam Algs really fast and recognize the case!