• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Who will win worlds?

Who will win worlds?

• Max Park

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Feliks Zemdegs

Votes: 83 62.9%
  • Seung Hyuk Nahm

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Sebastian Weyer

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Lucas Etter

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Mats Valk

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Kian Mansour

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Drew Brads

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gomorrite

Feliks' recent results surely are tipping the balance in his favor but I also want to point out that all of Max's 3x3 PBs at home except single (from Mo3 to Avg1000) date from the last 2 weeks. It seems like he is practicing a lot lately and if he is anything like Feliks who gets motivated when he losses his records, this will be a very interesting battle to watch.

efattah

I have been competing in different sports for my entire life, and watching the evolution of cubing since the 80's, I think the saddest part of this amazing world championship is that the format of the competition will not really decide who is the best. Specifically for worlds, and only for worlds, I think that the final 3x3 round should be held over 2 days, with the finalists each doing an Ao12 on each of the 2 days. Taking their better Ao12 of the two. With that format is very likely that the best cuber would actually win. With the current format of a single Ao5 on a single day, anyone can have a bad day, and randomness means some cubers will get lucky on the same scrambles that others will not, and with only 5 solves that luck element plays too great a role.

On another note, does anyone in the 'top list' know and use full ZBLL or full OLLCP? I know many cubers use partial ZBLL and partial OLLCP. I'm not sure who knows/uses those full sets but I am curious.

I think it would be very good for cubing if Alex or Kian made the finals. At least it would give some hope to new method developers ;)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I have been competing in different sports for my entire life, and watching the evolution of cubing since the 80's, I think the saddest part of this amazing world championship is that the format of the competition will not really decide who is the best. Specifically for worlds, and only for worlds, I think that the final 3x3 round should be held over 2 days, with the finalists each doing an Ao12 on each of the 2 days. Taking their better Ao12 of the two. With that format is very likely that the best cuber would actually win. With the current format of a single Ao5 on a single day, anyone can have a bad day, and randomness means some cubers will get lucky on the same scrambles that others will not, and with only 5 solves that luck element plays too great a role.

On another note, does anyone in the 'top list' know and use full ZBLL or full OLLCP? I know many cubers use partial ZBLL and partial OLLCP. I'm not sure who knows/uses those full sets but I am curious.

I think it would be very good for cubing if Alex or Kian made the finals. At least it would give some hope to new method developers ;)

For most competitions I think that a single Ao5 is probably the best way to go, but I think you're right that the world championships could be handled differently. I would also like to see current Mo3 events use an Ao5, possibly even for subsequent rounds at other competitions. Do you think that 4x4, 5x5, and megaminx should use Ao12, 2 Ao5s, 2 Ao12s?

efattah

For most competitions I think that a single Ao5 is probably the best way to go, but I think you're right that the world championships could be handled differently. I would also like to see current Mo3 events use an Ao5, possibly even for subsequent rounds at other competitions. Do you think that 4x4, 5x5, and megaminx should use Ao12, 2 Ao5s, 2 Ao12s?

The bigger the cube the less luck there is in a single solve. Just look at Megaminx, 5x5 or 6x6 and see that the % variance per solve is very low. Even an LL skip on Megaminx only wins you so much because LL is a small part of the solve.

2x2 is another story and is even more luck based than 3x3. If the world really cared about 2x2, worlds would have an Ao50 for 2x2 finals with rapid scramble turn overs.

Parity for 4x4 is sufficient to warrant an Ao12 for 4x4 though, in my opinion.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
The bigger the cube the less luck there is in a single solve. Just look at Megaminx, 5x5 or 6x6 and see that the % variance per solve is very low. Even an LL skip on Megaminx only wins you so much because LL is a small part of the solve.

So are you saying that 6x6 and 7x7 should remain Mo3 for finals? I would argue that while Feliks' 6x6 WR single and mean are undeniably impressive, his 1:20.xx single was enough of an outlier that it ought not count toward determining a champion based on average any more than Max Park's 1:19.xx 5x5 single in his NAR Ao5. Unless of course it can be duplicated within the same average.

Gold Cuber

WCA
2017SIMC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last edited by a moderator:

EmperorZant

WCA
2015LAUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
While my prediction stays the same as Feliks, I do think that Max has a chance of winning worlds. He won nationals after all.
Both of them are so consistent at points, it will be interesting to see who performs better under that much pressure. Between those two: I think if Feliks gets nervous and Max Park stays consistent, we could see a new world champion in 3x3; but if both of them (or just Max) get nervous, Feliks will probably take it.

Both of them are so consistent at points, it will be interesting to see who performs better under that much pressure. Between those two: I think if Feliks gets nervous and Max Park stays consistent, we could see a new world champion in 3x3; but if both of them (or just Max) get nervous, Feliks will probably take it.
He didn't seem nervous at Nats, but I am still going to give Feliks my vote, because he has experience, and he is aso the defending champion.