• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

who randomly forgets a algorithm once in a while

Chrislojet

I recently just forgot how to the anti sune for some random reason(even though It's one of the first algs I learned) while solving so, I'm wondering why that happens and, who has experienced this.

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I sometimes spontaneously unlearn G perms (especially for OH and big cubes), but it's weird cause it's like they're completely removed from muscle memory all of a sudden and I have to go through the same process of learning them as I initially did the first time.

GenTheThief

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When I first was learning OH, Big cubes, and Feet, I would forget how to do certain basic algorithms. This was mostly because the alg was in the muscle memory of both hands, and in a certain way, so when I tried to execute it with one hand, on a bigger cube, or with my Feet, I just couldn't remember the alg.

Now as I strive to learn ZBLL, I forget my algs simply because I haven't drilled them recently.

efattah

This happens to me most often when I learn a new algorithm that is similar to a very old one. My mind is unable to 'disentangle' the two similar algorithms and I forget the original, or both, and have to executed them in series A/B/A/B/A/B for my mind to disentangle them and understand their uniqueness.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would never forget antisune lol but sometimes I forget algs when I try to do them slowly, like the OLL case with 3 parallel lines
You have no idea how many times I've messed that one up. :p

Besides that one, there are very few algs that I actually have forgotten. I'm always scared I'll forget the dot OLLs since I usually do at least a little edge control, but on the rare occasion that one comes up, I've never gotten it wrong.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
About half the time it comes up I forget the double adjacent swap PBL for 2x2. Occasional 30+second 2x2 solves are not a good enough reason to practice 2x2.

EmperorZant

WCA
2015LAUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Every time I learn a 2GLL case, I learn it for both two-handed and one-handed solving. I often forget some of those algs just for 2H, for just OH, or for both. This has impeded my progress in learning 2GLL immensely... so I think it's probably best to learn the algs just for 2H, then just for OH... but it's hard, man.

T1_M0

WCA
2017NORR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yup, time to time.

Square-1 algs I forget the most. When I'm not practising squan for a couple weeks, I sometimes just can't remember my EPs or mix them up. However, during solving when not thinking about the alg, my fingers can do the job for me :D. Many times I've just had to search the alg to remember it though. Need to practice squan more.

CFOP algs I rarely forget during 3x3. Just feet, OH and big cubes can be problematic. Today when doing 7x7 I did an N-perm ending to F-perm (N-perm: ...R2 U' R' U2 R U' R' // F-perm: ...R2 U' R' U' R U R' U R). After rebuilding the f2l and oll, I didn't remember my not-m-slice-z-perm which I have to do so rarely... Though in oh and feet these mistakes come up less and less.

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
The only PLL I occasionally forget is my F-perm, not because it's an F-perm but because it's way too similar to my Y-perm and N-perms.
For OLL, it's definitely OLL 56 on the Wiki. It's not that I simply forget how to do it, it's that I slip up 1 or 2 moves and do OLL 16 instead.

Rubix Cubix

WCA
2016GLOZ01
I have it sometimes where I get one if the rarer OLL cases and just stare at it for a bit, like I know this one but I don't know it right now... Then I usually mess it up :(

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
I was showing my friend a walkthrough solve and I forgot the Nb perm beginning. I did R' U R' U' Instead of R' U R U' and messed up. Me and my friend had a good laugh about it.

Oh also I forgot a Z perm in competition and got a 32. Lol.

ShyGuy1265

WCA
2016COST12
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do not forget algs that I use on a regular basis. I only forget algs that are new and haven't been used very much. I have been using 2LLL for more than 9 months, so I know my OLLs and PLLs very well. I have started learning some OLLCPs, so that might mess things up.

I think more people need to understand how their algs break up and fix the F2L. For example, a T perm takes out a pair, inserts it back in with a sledgehammer, hides the other pair, does a U', then inserts the edge back in. Sometimes it is much more complicated than that, but you will usually find something recognizable at the beginning and end.