• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which Square-1 should I buy?

dynasty

This is my first time trying to solve anything other than a 3x3. And unlike my 3x3 collection, I only plan to buy and keep one Square-1.

- What brands are there other than MF8 and Cubetwist?
- What are the differences between MF8 and Cubetwist, or other brands mentioned? I want the Alpha V feel, not the F II feel.
- What is the cheapest store to buy from?

Thanks for helping me decide...

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
MF8 turns smoothly but doesn't cut corners very well.

Cubetwist cuts corners better, but turns with a bit more friction and has a tendency to pop.

If you only get one square-1, I'd suggest MF8.

iSpinz

WCA
2010INKJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Definitely MF8.

As for the cheapest place, Lightake is probably the cheapest Chinese store. I think my store is the only US seller who has them in stock though, if you want fast shipping.

dynasty

So is the Cubetwist like the F II (somewhat cheaper and bubbly?) and the MF8 is more standard? Still not clear about the differences...

I'm about to email Lightake to have them create my order (for the MF8) since I want to use my LT points and this week's 3% coupon, but I would appreciate any last minute advice or objections. Thanks.

RyanO

WCA
2008OLSO01
I prefer cubetwist, but it does pop more. I think cubetwist is slower, but smoother. I like it because it feels easier to control.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right now i have mf8. Woner is going to get the cubetwist soon, maybe he will comment then. Meh I dunno.
My mf8 out of the box was not that great. I ended up sanding down the tracks so the pieces were not fit as snugly onto the tracks and moved quite a bit better.

MTGjumper

WCA
2008CRAW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
OK, I've been using my cubetwist more now, and I'd like to think that my opinion counts for something, so I'm going to give my opinion one last time...

Anyway, I'm actually using my cubetwist sq1 in favour of my MF8: I've played about with the tension and broken it in, and now it pops much less often (more than I would like still, but less than my MF8 anyway). I've found that my averages have improved slightly, but I'm getting fewer very good times; this might be due to increased turning resistance causing a slower turning speed, but I have fewer bad solves in a session as it tends to lock up less than my MF8.