• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which Cube Should I Get? Up To Date Recommendations

WCA
2021BRAN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can't go wrong with an rs3m since both Fahmi and Patrick main it, but any version of the wrm is also good. The tengyun is amazing for some people and not great for others, so that's a riskier option.
The problem is, my two RS3M's are really slow and smooth, and that is the exact opposite of what I like my OH cubes to be. The WRm might be a good option though. Probably gonna buy the maglev or should I probably wait for the 2022?

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
The problem is, my two RS3M's are really slow and smooth, and that is the exact opposite of what I like my OH cubes to be. The WRm might be a good option though. Probably gonna buy the maglev or should I probably wait for the 2022?
If you don't need it for your next competition, I don't see any harm in waiting. If you want to get a good rs3m to use before comp, I would recommend cleaning the cube, putting in fast and light lubes, adjusting the spring compression, and removing any extra magnets you may have put in. The rs3m is very versatile depending on the setup.

WCA
2021BRAN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you don't need it for your next competition, I don't see any harm in waiting. If you want to get a good rs3m to use before comp, I would recommend cleaning the cube, putting in fast and light lubes, adjusting the spring compression, and removing any extra magnets you may have put in. The rs3m is very versatile depending on the setup.
Nevermind. I adjusted my gan 11 m pro to the weakest magnet settings and it works amazingly. But I will probably buy the next WR m

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Disregarding price, what actually are the differences between:
MGC and Valk 5
MGC and Shadow v2
MGC, Spark, and Hays
For 5x5, the MGC is a bit faster, but also less stable, and has a bubbly feeling. The valk is incredibly stable, but with the right setup also is pretty fast, with a crunchy feeling.
For 6x6, pretty much the same. The MGC is fast and bubbly, but also pops a lot. The Shadow V2 isn't nearly as fast, but it's much more stable, and I've heard doesn't really pop at all.
For 7x7, I've never tried the hays, but pretty much everyone considers it worse then the other two. The MGC is a bit bigger, and also a bit faster, and a bit less stable feeling. The spark is the opposite.

gsingh

WCA
2019SING33
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Disregarding price, what actually are the differences between:
MGC and Valk 5
MGC and Shadow v2
MGC, Spark, and Hays
mostly what @Eli Apperson said, but i wanted to add that the valk 5, shadow v2, and the spark feel a lot more premium. while the mgc's are like the rs3m's of big cubes, and the others are the gan cubes of big cubes

lvcuber

WCA
2019MART21
thanks guys, I think I'll go with the cheaper ones because I need to learn the method first and 32 dollars is too expensive in the conversion
sorry to bother you
You made no mistake in choosing the RS. It’s definitely the best budget skewb on the market. For 10 dollars you get some amazing performance. I’ve used it as my main and it works great. I experienced some awful spring noise that is easily resolved with some lube. If you want to upgrade later on, the Gan is probably a good option, but the RS will take you decently far with very little trouble.

Nevan J

WCA
2022JAIN05
YouTube
Visit Channel
hey everyone, I was thinking of buying a new 3x3, after my research, the ones that imo should be the best are:

1) WR M 2021 Lite (not maglev as I tried it out in a comp and it was very uncontrollable)
2) Gan 11 M Pro
3) Gan 12 MagLev
4) Gan 12 Leap (maybe)

btw I'm not focusing on price
can anyone please tell I am tied between the 11 pro and 12 maglev or leap. which one should i actually consider?

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
hey everyone, I was thinking of buying a new 3x3, after my research, the ones that imo should be the best are:

1) WR M 2021 Lite (not maglev as I tried it out in a comp and it was very uncontrollable)
2) Gan 11 M Pro
3) Gan 12 MagLev
4) Gan 12 Leap (maybe)

can anyone please tell I am tied between the 11 pro and 12 maglev or leap. which one should i actually consider?
I've heard the gan 12 (particularly maglev) has a some weird catching issues, and the maglev version, because of the lower friction, has more issues with corner to core magnets "eating" your turn sometimes (which could lead to some unfortunate +2s)
I would say the 11 pro and 12 leap seem of similar quality, but if you want something tried and tested, go for the 11 pro.

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02

2) Gan 11 M Pro
3) Gan 12 MagLev
4) Gan 12 Leap (maybe)

If you just want the cube that can perform the best, that will probably be the gan 12 maglev. There were some issues on release, but they seem to have been fixed and it is the most commonly mained cube among the top cubers. The 11 m pro is also very good and is slightly cheaper, while the wrm 2021 has easily the best price to performance but feels different from the gan cubes. Personally I would go for the gan 12 maglev if price really isn't a consideration and you didn't like the feel of the wrm 21 maglev you tried.

Nevan J

WCA
2022JAIN05
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you just want the cube that can perform the best, that will probably be the gan 12 maglev. There were some issues on release, but they seem to have been fixed and it is the most commonly mained cube among the top cubers. The 11 m pro is also very good and is slightly cheaper, while the wrm 2021 has easily the best price to performance but feels different from the gan cubes. Personally I would go for the gan 12 maglev if price really isn't a consideration and you didn't like the feel of the wrm 21 maglev you tried.
So is the catching issue fixed?