• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which Cube Should I Get? Up To Date Recommendations

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have heard great things about the MGC 4x4, but is it as good as the WR M 4x4 and the GTS2 M?
I've heard that it is based on multiple reviews I have seen.
MGC 5X5 is superb for its price, but Valk 5 M is still the best.
I personally can get the same times on both the valk 5 and mgc but I main the valk 5 for the feel. Depending on how accurate your turn style is you will favor one or the other and I think their performance is on the same level. Also the speed of the MGC can't be beat

YuXin Little Magic 6x6 M is better than the YuShi v2 M.
again, debatable. I find the Yushi v2 better because the qualities fit better together but as a whole they are both great for the price, I have not tried the stock YLM 6x6 magnetic but a friend has one and it was pretty good, about as good as the Yushi v2. From my experience, all of the factory magnetic 6x6s are really good but the MGC is the only one that is objectively better than the rest

Spark M is by far the best 7x7. Spark M is much better than Aofu GTS 7x7.
I agree with you on this one, maybe add the hays as expert as well since many people still use it. The aofu is 10$ cheaper then the hays and spark (and is worse then both) so it could fit in the great category.

WCA
2023FUKU01
I personally can get the same times on both the valk 5 and mgc but I main the valk 5 for the feel. Depending on how accurate your turn style is you will favor one or the other and I think their performance is on the same level. Also the speed of the MGC can't be beat
Yea, YJ MGC 5x5 is the best 5x5 next to the Valk. But I have also heard great things about aochuang wrm. Among Valk 5 M, MoYu AoChuang WR M and YJ MGC 5x5, which should be put in expert?
again, debatable. I find the Yushi v2 better because the qualities fit better together but as a whole they are both great for the price, I have not tried the stock YLM 6x6 magnetic but a friend has one and it was pretty good, about as good as the Yushi v2. From my experience, all of the factory magnetic 6x6s are really good but the MGC is the only one that is objectively better than the rest
Then just add yushi v2m to budget along with ylm m 6x6.
I agree with you on this one, maybe add the hays as expert as well since many people still use it. The aofu is 10$ cheaper then the hays and spark (and is worse then both) so it could fit in the great category.
Spark M is BY FAR the best 7x7.

WCA
2023FUKU01
Updated April, 2020 - If you suggest any changes to these recommendations, please comment below which your recommendation and reason for the change. These suggestions are for the community and by the community, so please help keep these suggestions up to date by replying here with changes.
---------------------

Budget - Dirt Cheap Cubes only
Great - Pretty good and you won't have to sell your house
Expert - The best cube on the market

Recommended 2x2x2:
  • Budget: YJ YuPo V2 M - $6.95
  • Great: MGC 2x2 - $9.99
  • Expert: QiYi Valk 2 M - $19.95

Recommended 3x3x3:
  • Budget: Yuxin Little Magic - $4.99 or MoFang JiaoShi MF3RS2 3x3 - $7.95
  • Great: YJ MGC 3x3 - $14.99
  • Expert: Moyu Weilong GTS 3 M - $34.99 or Gan 354 M - $39.99 or GAN 356 X - $61.95 or MoYu Weilong WR M - $38.99

Recommended 4x4x4:
  • Budget: QiYi Thunderclap Mini 4x4 - $12.95 or Meilong 4x4 - $4.99
  • Great: Qiyi Mini Wuque M - $31.95
  • Expert: Angstrom WuQue M 4x4 - $69.99 or MoYu AoSu 4x4 GTS2 M - $44.99

Recommended 5x5x5:
  • Budget: YuXin Cloud 5x5 - $5.49
  • Great: YuXin 5x5 - $13.99 or Yuxin Little Magic M 5x5 - $16.99
  • Expert: Cubicle WuShuang M 5x5 - $64.99 or MoYu AoChuang 5x5 GTS M - $39.99

Recommended 6x6x6:
  • Budget: Cyclone Boys G6 - $19.95 or YuXin Little Magic 6x6 - $14.95
  • Great: Shadow M - $49.95
  • Expert: Shadow M - $49.95 or MoYu Aoshi GTS M 6x6 - $39.99

Recommended 7x7x7:
  • Budget: MoFang JiaoShi MF7S 7x7 - $19.99 or QiYi QiXing 7x7 - $14.95
  • Great: Yuxin Hays 7 - $49.95
  • Expert: Yuxin Hays 7 M - $54.95 or XMan Spark 7x7 - $49.95

Recommended Megaminx:
  • Budget: Qiyi Qiheng - $7.95
  • Great: X-Man Galaxy Megaminx V2 (Sculpted) - $19.99 or YJ MGC Megaminx $22.99
  • Expert: X Man Galaxy v2 M - $29.99

Recommended Skewb:
  • Budget: QiYi QiCheng Skewb - $7.50
  • Great: X Man Wingy Skewb - $13.99
  • Expert: X Man Wingy Skewb - $13.99 or MoYu AoYan Skewb - $18.99

Recommended Clock:
  • Budget: Lingao Clock - $9.95
  • Great: Lingao Clock - $9.95
  • Expert: Lingao Clock - $9.95
Recommended Pyraminx:
  • Budget: QiYi QiMing Pyraminx - $7.99 or Yulong v2 M Pryaminx - $7.99
  • Great: MoYu Magnetic Pyraminx - $13.99
  • Expert: X-Man Bell Magnetic Pyraminx - $14.50
Recommended Square-1:
  • Budget: Qiyi Qifa S - $6.99 or Yuxin Little Magic Square 1 - $6.99
  • Great: X-Man Volt - $13.99
  • Expert: Cubicle Labs X-Man Volt $59.99
-------
There are many places to buy puzzles, and depending on what country you live in, shipping will be cheaper. Below is a list of stores to consider:

budget 2x2: change to qiyi ms 2x2
great 2x2: add qiyi ms 2x2
expert 2x2: add yj mgc elite 2x2 and dayan tengyun 2x2 m

budget 3x3: change to qiyi ms 3x3
great 3x3: change to dayan tengyun v2 m
expert 3x3: remove gan 354 m and gan 356 X, add Valk elite m and gan 356 XS

budget 4x4: change to QiYi MS 4x4
great 4x4: change to yj mgc 4x4 and moyu meilong 4x4 m
expert 4x4: remove wuque m and add moyu aosu wr m

budget 5x5: change to qiyi ms 5x5
great 5x5: change to qiyi ms 5x5
expert 5x5: change to Valk 5 m and MoYu AoChuang WR M

budget 6x6: change to YuXin Little Magic 6x6 M and YJ YuShi v2 M
great 6x6: change to yj mgc 6x6
expert 6x6: change to yj mgc 6x6

budget 7x7: change to yj yufu v2 m
great 7x7: change to yj yufu v2 m
expert 7x7: remove Hays 7 m

budget megaminx: change to yj yuhu v2 m
great megaminx: change to yj yuhu v2 m and X-Man Galaxy v2L M
expert megaminx: change to X-Man Galaxy v2L M and gan megaminx

budget skewb: change to cyclone boys magnetic skewb
great skewb: fine (the only one the list that is up to date)
expert skewb: remove wingy

the hardware list of clock is redundant. this event lack hardware.

budget pyraminx: change to qiyi ms pyraminx
great pyraminx: change to X-Man Bell
expert pyraminx: change to X-Man Bell v2

budget square-1: remove qiyi qifa s
great square-1: change to YuXin Little Magic Square-1 M
expert square-1: change to X-Man Volt v2 M

@pjk Above are my suggestions on the list. I am looking forward to seeing a really up to date list.

Last edited:

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
budget 2x2: change to qiyi ms 2x2
great 2x2: add qiyi ms 2x2
expert 2x2: add yj mgc elite 2x2 and dayan tengyun 2x2 m

budget 3x3: change to qiyi ms 3x3
great 3x3: change to dayan tengyun v2 m
expert 3x3: remove gan 354 m and gan 356 X, add Valk elite m and gan 356 XS

budget 4x4: remove qiyi thunderclap mini
great 4x4: change to yj mgc 4x4 and moyu meilong 4x4 m
expert 4x4: remove wuque m and add moyu aosu wr m

budget 5x5: change to yuxin little magic 5x5 m
great 5x5: change to yj mgc 5x5
expert 5x5: change to Valk 5 m and MoYu AoChuang WR M

budget 6x6: change to YuXin Little Magic 6x6 M and YJ YuShi v2 M
great 6x6: change to yj mgc 6x6
expert 6x6: change to yj mgc 6x6

budget 7x7: change to yj yufu v2 m
great 7x7: change to yj yufu v2 m
expert 7x7: remove Hays 7 m

budget megaminx: change to yj yuhu v2 m
great megaminx: change to yj yuhu v2 m and X-Man Galaxy v2L M
expert megaminx: change to X-Man Galaxy v2L M and gan megaminx

budget skewb: change to cyclone boys magnetic skewb
great skewb: fine (the only one here that is up to date)
expert skewb: remove wingy

the hardware list of clock is redundant. this event lack hardware.

budget pyraminx: change to qiyi ms pyraminx
great pyraminx: change to X-Man Bell
expert pyraminx: change to X-Man Bell v2

budget square-1: remove qiyi qifa s
great square-1: change to YuXin Little Magic Square-1 M
expert square-1: change to X-Man Volt v2 M

@pjk Above are my suggestions on the list. I am looking forward to seeing a real up to date list.

Why add puzzles that aren't out? You can't add Bell V2 and MGC Elite 2x2 if hardly anyone's tried it

brododragon

I think for "Expert", Magnetic LingAo Clock needs to be added. @pjk?
2x2: What about the Tengyun and Valk?
3x3: No GTS3M or tengyun v2? And YLM is definitely budget, maybe Yulong instead
4x4: no Valk? and the Qiyi Thunderclap Mini is good for budget
5x5: Yuxin cloud for budget? Also the new Moyu 5x5
6x6 & 7x7 I don't know much about
Skewb: Okay I think
Pyraminx: Bell V2 isn't out yet, Bell should be expert and Moyu either as expert or great
Megaminx: Yuhu is debatably the best on the market, should be in expert. YLM is a budget mega
Don't know anything about Squan

Also we already have a pinned best cubes thread by pjk(although it does need updating, @pjk)
This doesn't get updates anymore.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
2x2:
Budget - QiYi MS 2x2
Great - QiYi MS 2x2, YJ MGC 2x2
Expert - YJ MGC Elite 2x2, Valk 2 M, DaYan TengYun 2x2 M

3x3:
Budget - QiYi MS 3x3
Great - DaYan TengYun v2 M
Expert - Valk 3 Elite, MoYu WeiLong WR M, GAN 356 XS

4x4:
Budget - MoYu MeiLong 4x4
Great - YJ MGC 4x4, MoYu MeiLong 4x4 M
Expert - MoYu AoSu WR M, MoYu AoSu GTS2 M

5x5:
Budget - YuXin Little Magic 5x5 M
Great - YJ MGC 5x5
Expert - Valk 5 M, MoYu AoChuang WR M

6x6:
Budget - YuXin Little Magic 6x6 M, YJ YuShi v2 M
Great - YJ MGC 6x6
Expert - YJ MGC 6x6

7x7:
Budget - YJ YuFu v2 M
Great - YJ YuFu v2 M
Expert - X-Man Spark M

Megaminx:
Budget - YJ YuHu v2 M
Great - X-Man Galaxy v2L M, YJ YuHu v2 M
Expert - X-Man Galaxy v2L M, Gan Megaminx

Skewb:
Budget - Cyclone Boys Magnetic Skewb
Great - X-Man Wingy
Expert - MoYu AoYan M

Pyraminx:
Budget - QiYi MS Pyraminx
Great - X-Man Bell
Expert - X-Man Bell v2

Square-1:
Budget - YuXin Little Magic Square-1
Great - YuXin Little Magic Square-1 M
Expert - X-Man Volt v2 M
I think Tengyun V2 should be in expert :/
There are a bunch of 3x3 flagships, and many people seem to really like it. Also, just put WRM/GTS3M, they’re practically the same...

For great in 3x3, YJ MGC Elite and, I don’t know, Guhong V3? Thunderclap V3? Wuwei?

For Pyraminx, lots of people use pyras like the huanglong and moyu magnetic, perhaps they should be added to give more choice?

Also, not sure, but is the YJ Yusu V2 M a good budget cube for 4x4?

WCA
2023FUKU01
I think Tengyun V2 should be in expert :/
There are a bunch of 3x3 flagships, and many people seem to really like it. Also, just put WRM/GTS3M, they’re practically the same...

For great in 3x3, YJ MGC Elite and, I don’t know, Guhong V3? Thunderclap V3? Wuwei?

For Pyraminx, lots of people use pyras like the huanglong and moyu magnetic, perhaps they should be added to give more choice?

Also, not sure, but is the YJ Yusu V2 M a good budget cube for 4x4?
Is Tengyun v2 m at the same level as the other expert 3x3s? I doubt that, as it corner pops even on tight tensions.

Sure! added GTS3 M to expert.

For great 3x3, there are Tengyun v2 m, yj mgc elite and Gan 356 M. Which should be in great 3x3?

For great pyraminx, if bell v1 is put in expert, there are mr.m pyraminx, huanglong and moyu magnetic. Which should be in great pyraminx?

For budget 4x4, there are YJ Yusu V2 M, yuxin little magic m 4x4 and qiyi ms 4x4. YJ Yusu v2 M catches a lot. yuxin little magic m 4x4 is sluggish. QiYi MS 4x4 is the way to go.

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Is Tengyun v2 m at the same level as the other expert 3x3s? I doubt that, as it corner pops even on tight tensions.

Sure! added GTS3 M to expert.

For great 3x3, there are Tengyun v2 m, yj mgc elite and Gan 356 M. Which should be in great 3x3?

For great pyraminx, if bell v1 is put in expert, there are mr.m pyraminx, huanglong and moyu magnetic. Which should be in great pyraminx?

For budget 4x4, there are YJ Yusu V2 M, yuxin little magic m 4x4, meilong 4x4 and qiyi ms 4x4. YJ Yusu v2 M catches a lot. yuxin little magic m 4x4 is sluggish. qiyi ms is 62mm which can be too large for some people. meilong 4x4 is smaller, lighter and faster. meilong 4x4 is the cheapest while its performance stands out. Its magnetic version is main worthy. meilong 4x4 is the way to go for budget 4x4.
The corner pops don’t happen to me, or a lot of other people, and anyway - it’s not the entire corner that pops out - it’s the cubie, with the stock still inside. Superglue will fix this, as people like @TomTheCuber101 has said. Plus I don’t think it has happened to a lot of people. I would put it in Expert.

If you put the Tengyun in Expert, put the Elite in Great, Gan’s 356 M price is unjustified to be in Great - you can get the WR M and Tengyun for less than that. Personally I think there should be another Great cube which is more budget, such as the cubes aforementioned. There are only 3 levels here, for a lot of different price ranges. And a lot of cubes are in the £10-£20 range.

I think unless the Bell V2 is solidly proven to be way better than everything else, keep it out of the mix for now until it releases, and put the Bell V1 in expert. If it has been proven, keep it as it is, but maybe add one more Pyraminx to the Great section, out of which one you think is best (Huanglong, Mr M, Moyu, I believe).

I don’t know much about 4x4, so I’ll take your word for it.

I agree with everything else (though a lot I don’t know much about)
For extras, you could add the prices of the cubes (in popular stores). Good job! This thread needs updating.

Last edited:
WCA
2023FUKU01
The corner pops don’t happen to me, or a lot of other people, and anyway - it’s not the entire corner that pops out - it’s the cubie, with the stock still inside. Superglue will fix this, as people like @TomTheCuber101 has said. Plus I don’t think it has happened to a lot of people. I would put it in Expert.

If you put the Tengyun in Expert, put the Elite in Great, Gan’s 356 M price is unjustified to be in Great - you can get the WR M and Tengyun for less than that. Personally I think there should be another Great cube which is more budget, such as the cubes aforementioned. There are only 3 levels here, for a lot of different price ranges. And a lot of cubes are in the £10-£20 range.

I think unless the Bell V2 is solidly proven to be way better than everything else, keep it out of the mix for now until it releases, and put the Bell V1 in expert. If it has been proven, keep it as it is, but maybe add one more Pyraminx to the Great section, out of which one you think is best (Huanglong, Mr M, Moyu, I believe).

I don’t know much about 4x4, so I’ll take your word for it.

I agree with everything else (though a lot I don’t know much about)
For extras, you could add the prices of the cubes (in popular stores). Good job! This thread needs updating.
Gan 356 M is cheaper than the gts3 m and is $1 more expensive than tengyun v2m.
Yes, I agree that there are many great cubes within $10-$20, such as yuxin little magic m.

For pyraminx, Huanglong, Mr M, Moyu, which one is the best? Mr M is one of the best after lots of setups. HuangLong is kind of an upgrate from the moyu as it is as fast as the moyu and it has stronger magnets.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Gan 356 M is cheaper than the gts3 m and is $1 more expensive than tengyun v2m.
Yes, I agree that there are many great cubes within $10-$20, such as yuxin little magic m.

For pyraminx, Huanglong, Mr M, Moyu, which one is the best? Mr M is one of the best after lots of setups. HuangLong is kind of an upgrate from the moyu as it is as fast as the moyu and it has stronger magnets.
I don’t know too much, the Mr M seems good I think. I was going to buy it.

WCA
2023FUKU01

3x3:
Budget - QiYi MS 3x3
Great - YJ MGC Elite 3x3
Expert - Valk 3 Elite, MoYu WeiLong GTS3/WR M, GAN 356 XS, DaYan TengYun v2 M
3x3 recommendations on the list has been updated.
I don’t know too much, the Mr M seems good I think. I was going to buy it.
As mr.m is cheaper than the huanglong while the huanglong is same price as the bell, mr. m should be in great.
Pyraminx:
Budget - QiYi MS Pyraminx
Great - ShengShou Mr.M Pyraminx
Expert - X-Man Bell
Pyraminx recommendations on the list has been updated.

WCA
2023FUKU01
Last edited: