• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which Cube Should I Get? Up To Date Recommendations

KingTim96

WCA
2012SPIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just order the YJ MGC 2x2, MoYu WeiLong GTS3 M 3x3, and MoYu Aosu GTS2 M 4x4.

Thanks for the recommendations!

So I just got my cubes in the mail last friday. Shipping was a little late I think cause of corona and the package had to make its way through new jersey. But anyway, lil mini review.

I got the YJ MGC 2x2, GTS3 M 3x3, and GTS2 M 4x4.

4x4 review:
The 4x4 is freaking amazing. Way better than my original aosu (duh). Magnets are sick and I bought it lubed/tensioned by the cubicle. First 20 solves maybe and I didn't think it was super crazy probably cause it had been sitting for a while beofre it got to my house and probably got cold and made the lube get a little thicker for a bit. So before I got the gts2 I was using the aosu and averaging anywhere from 1:10 to 1:25, but I personally could notice a lot of lockups and stuff like that so I was hoping it would get better and it so did. Been easily averaging anywhere from 55secs to 1:10 and have had two sub 50 solves. One of them was a pb of 45secs. Very nice cube and I am glad I paid extra for the cubicle setup.

3x3 review:
I dont know what cube I had before this, but I am guessing it is either a kind of dayan like a zhanchi or a weilong. anyway, I got the gts3 and unlike the 4x4 this one was super fast out of the box. Nearly uncontrollable for me personally. But I know it takes a few solves to get things moving so I toughed it out. The cube ended up getting much better. I got set up by the cubicle for this one too, before I forget. Anyway, It slowed down a bit and I also adjusted the tightness a bit. Works amazingly, turns amazingly. Turning is pretty effortless but if i do turn too hard the magnets really help keep it stable. Highly recommend personally.

2x2 review:
So just like the 3x3 this cube was a little too much out of the box. Couldn't get this cube setup by the cubicle cause they were out of that option but it is all good. I can see why people would like the MGC 2x2. The magnets seems a little strong for my taste, but it isnt overly bad. Also, I havent seem to have found my ideal tension for this cube. So sadly I am not enjoying it too much right now. I disassembled it and lubed the core and springs with some lubicle. Hoping I adjust to the lightness and the feeling. I am coming off of a dayan 2x2 (which I still actually enjoy for the time being).

Yeah so definitely recommend the 3x3 and 4x4, but maybe do a little more looking around on the 2x2. It is for sure a nice cube, maybe just not my style.

Last edited:
@EliteCuber thanks for finding this thread :), I am picking a new event to add to my events collection, is it the F2L heavy megaminx or the algorithm based square 1?

I need more people, post, post! megaminx mainers, I need opinion people.

UOTE="brododragon, post: 1367387, member: 52266"]
Do you want a challenge or just a long fun solve?
[/QUOTE]

Something that is fun but non-standard.

Last edited:

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey anybody have any recommendations for oh cube? I main a gts3m, and dont think its good for oh
Hey anybody have any recommendations for oh cube? I main a gts3m, and dont think its good for oh
If you have small hands then something like the Gan 354 V2M would be good, if you do not then just get whatever you want for 3x3x3.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I also main a GTS3M for OH, and I'm thinking of buying a Tengyun V2. From what I've heard it's just as good/better than the tengyun was for OH
The WRm is a better choice for OH since its the same cube as the GTS3 but smaller and therefore easier to grip. Also the Valk line is very good for OH since they are stable and a good size

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Square-1, square-1, square-1. Make sure you get a good one though
YES! I think that people are too afraid to get into this event because of the shapeshifting and parity. I do agree that parity sucks but at least on square-1 it's reasonable to learn how to avoid it unlike on big cubes. The hardware is not that great right now and your best bet is the Volt v2 or the YLM. Square-1 is my main event and I avg around 12 (Check out the race thread that I am running ATM) and I think that it gets such a bad wrap even though the event has so much to love about it.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
The WRm is a better choice for OH since its the same cube as the GTS3 but smaller and therefore easier to grip. Also the Valk line is very good for OH since they are stable and a good size

I don't like the feel of the GTS3M in general(for OH), so I don't think a WRM would be my favorite OH cube