• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which Cube Should I Get? Up To Date Recommendations

Ash Black

WCA
2017BLAC06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I"ve added a section at the bottom of the post with links to various shops around the world. What am I missing? What are the biggest shops in Europe? Let me know and I'll add them to the thread.

Also, you have any other suggestions to make, please post them here.
add the tengyun m, and moyu WRM to 3x3 expert, and the yulong v2 m to 3x3 budget
add the YJ MGC megaminx to megaminx great
add the Yulong v2 m pyra to pyraminx budget/pyraminx great

Reactions: pjk

Spektre

Whats the best cube for a beginner out of these: YJ Yulong V2 M or MF3RS2 (non-magnetic)?

Sion

If you're willing to magnetize it - which is not hard at all - it becomes, by far, the best budget 4x4.

I know. I have one :p. It's the best budget 4x4, even surpassing more expensive cubes like the valk 4 easily.

Suggestion- change the wuque and wushuang in 4x4 and 5x5 to the Valk 4 and 5 M respectively. They are cheaper, and most people can agree that they are better.

Also, the Yuxin Little Magic M 5x5 is better then the yuxin for the "great" category- smooth, fast, and factory magnetic.

Sion

Suggestion- change the wuque and wushuang in 4x4 and 5x5 to the Valk 4 and 5 M respectively. They are cheaper, and most people can agree that they are better.

Also, the Yuxin Little Magic M 5x5 is better then the yuxin for the "great" category- smooth, fast, and factory magnetic.

WuShuang to Valk 5? Yes.

WuQue to Valk 4? No. They are rather different, and directly comparing the two, there are many areas where the wuque is definitely a better cube, albeit slower.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Yuxin Little Magic Square 1 should be added to both “Great” and “expert” due to its cheap price and viability.

Add the Aoyan Skewb to Expert

Add Aoshi GTS M 6x6 to Expert, as well as the XMan Spark 7x7
add the tengyun m, and moyu WRM to 3x3 expert, and the yulong v2 m to 3x3 budget
add the YJ MGC megaminx to megaminx great
add the Yulong v2 m pyra to pyraminx budget/pyraminx great
Meilong 4x4
I went ahead and updated the main post with some of the suggestions from above and from Fukuoka. There are a couple of issues:
1) Some puzzle categories have multiple suggestions. I think we should cap it at 2, so for Expert 3x3, we should limit it to two. It means removing existing ones. We want to make it simple for people to find puzzles - it can't be perfect as everyone has their own preference.
2) People making contradicting recommendations, it's tough to decide which to edit/add, if any. Aside from the proposed poll, does anyone have any other suggestions to resolving this issue?

In the future, if you make a suggestion, please follow this format:
Puzzle to Remove: XXX
Puzzle to Add: YYY
Reason: ZZZ

This way it is easily to determine what is proposed to add, subtract, and a good reason that we can discuss. If you suggest adding something without removing a puzzle, we end up for 5 puzzles recommended for each and that isn't the goal here.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Puzzle to remove: Angstrom Weipo M
Puzzle to Add: QiYi Valk 2 M
Reason: Pretty much everybody and their cousin has switched to the Valk 2 M, and it's the best 2x2x2 on the market right now. It's even been compared to the original Dayan, which says a lot.

Puzzle to remove: QiYi QiDi S
Puzzle to Add: YJ YuPo V2 M
Reason: The QiDi S locks up a lot more than the YuPo. The YuPo is only 2 dollars more expensive and it's magnetic to boot. It's almost as good as the MGC 2x2x2.

Alternatively, replace the QiDi S with the MeiLong 2. It's 3 dollars and it's pretty decent.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Puzzle to remove: Angstrom Weipo M
Puzzle to Add: QiYi Valk 2 M
Reason: Pretty much everybody and their cousin has switched to the Valk 2 M, and it's the best 2x2x2 on the market right now. It's even been compared to the original Dayan, which says a lot.

Puzzle to remove: QiYi QiDi S
Puzzle to Add: YJ YuPo V2 M
Reason: The QiDi S locks up a lot more than the YuPo. The YuPo is only 2 dollars more expensive and it's magnetic to boot. It's almost as good as the MGC 2x2x2.

Alternatively, replace the QiDi S with the MeiLong 2. It's 3 dollars and it's pretty decent.
Done, made those changes now.

GAN 356 X

The reviews of the Cubing Classroom Megaminx at the Cubicle is not as good as the Yuxin Little Magic megaminx and Qiheng megaminx. Cubing Classroom Megaminx has 3.5 star reviews at the Cubicle, while both Qiyi Qiheng megaminx and Yuxin Little Magic megaminx has 4.5 star reviews at the Cubicle.

The Cubing Classroom Megaminx do not have ridges. What do you mean by "features a lot of grip"?
The qiyi qidi s do not corner cut as well as the Yuxin little magic 2x2, and it has frosted plastic and weird shades.
I agree. I think that the qiheng id better (keep in mind I've never tried the little magic megaminx), as for the price it performs extremely well. for me, the qiyi qidi s was a cube I just didn't like at all, moreso than the warrior w. if you are willing to pay an extra amount of money, id recommend just getting the yj mgc 2x2 because of its great corner cutting, and top cube traits. the colour scheme is also awesome on it, compared to the weird shades and frosted exterior on the qiyi qidi s.