• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which Cube Should I Get? Up To Date Recommendations

I’m sorry about that. You put your location as kfc, so I had to assume. anyway, what you’ve already decided sounds good. Cubicle premium cubes are always good! But in the future (like in later the the next couple of months future), just go to comps. You’ll buy only the cubes you really need, and if there’s a cube that you don’t like that you got, you can just sell or trade it.

Kfc doesn't have a lot a comps around it despite the delish chicken...

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
So keeping an update to date list of the most recommended cubes is certainly a useful resource. However, since many people have differing views on which is the best for each puzzle type and category, it makes it difficult to choose which one to actually put as the recommended puzzle.

Does anyone know of a site or resource that has a voting mechanism for the best speedcubes? I think adding a way for people to add puzzles and allow the community to vote up/down differing brands/puzzles would be the best long-term strategy for this. This way it's not just 1 person recommending stuff and it's the crowd, and the rankings can be done automatically as new puzzles are added and whatnot. Thoughts?

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am thinking about 6x6 great, as Yuxin red is a pretty old puzzle. Any thoughts?
Is the X-Men shadow m better than the aoshi gts m?
I think out of the box, the aoshi gtsm is better, if you are sub2 and have them both really well set up then I think the shadow might be better but even then I am not sure.
I disagree with the very existence of a great 7x7, if you want a 7x7 get the spark, it's simple.

cuber314159

WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
then what shall we put into great7x7?
I am thinking about great pyraminx too. the moyu pyraminx is only 1 dollar cheaper than the yuxin huang long m and the X-Men bell on the cubicle.
Just make it honest:
Budget: cyclone boys G7
Great: xman spark M
Expert: xman spark M

I don't know enough about pyraminx to help with that.

fex

5x5 Yuxin Cloud is generally good cube, not only in budget range.

I'm a beginner but I didn't see much difference in solving efficiency between:
- 4x4 Thunderclap Mini
- 4x4 Wuque
- 4x4 Yuxin Black Kylin
- 4x4 QiYi QiYuan S

Every cube was set and lubed by Traxxas 50k.

cuber314159

WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
the aofu gts m is $15 cheaper than the xman spark M, while the yuxin hays7 m is the same price as the xman spark M. with the aofu gts m better and cheaper than the yuxin hays7 m, should we put the aofu gts m into 7x7 great with xman spark M?
I didn't realise, cubicle prices really do not reflect wholesale prices then. I guess you can put the aofu GTSM in great but it's quite a bit worse anyway.
4x4 will need updating soon but for now the aosu gts2m is best but I tried the valk 4 and it's better but not out just yet. For 5x5, the Moyu aochuang GTSM is the best and I think you could put the new yuxin magnetic 5x5 for great as it's quite good.

dudefaceguy

I want to know more about the mr.m 4x4 and 5x5.
Any thoughts on 4x4 and 5x5?

I have both, but no other Mr. M puzzles. I think the 5x5 is a bit better than the 4x4, just because it's easier to make odd-layer cubes. The inner slices are a bit better on the 5x5 - on the 4x4 they catch every so often. Check out my review on the 4x4 at thecubicle.com - it's titled "Classic look and great performance." TLDR: fix uneven tensions.

Updated January, 2019 - If you suggest any changes to these recommendations, please comment below which your recommendation and reason for the change. These suggestions are for the community and by the community, so please help keep these suggestions up to date by replying here with changes.
---------------------

Budget - Dirt Cheap Cubes only
Great - Pretty good and you won't have to sell your house
Expert - The best cube on the market

Recommended Skewb:
  • Budget: QiYi QiCheng Skewb - $7.50
  • Great: X Man Wingy Skewb - $13.99
  • Expert: X Man Wingy Skewb - $13.99

-------
There are many places to buy puzzles, and depending on what country you live in, shipping will be cheaper. Below is a list of stores to consider:
Just a thought, I would also put the Moyu Aoyan skewb in the great/expert along with the wingy. Lots of people use the moyu as their mains, and it is at least as good as the wingy.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
yes, I don't know why no updates have been made on the list at the first post, so I have made a list myself.
https://www.speedsolving.com/goto/post?id=1318018

Do you have any suggestions on my list?
I'd like to keep the first posted updated, but running into the issue of when to make updates. There are many people who have differing views on which puzzles should be listed, so thinking of the best way to solve this issue. It is still mostly up to date.