• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which Cube Should I Get? Up To Date Recommendations

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm considering the shadow m or aoshi m, or is it worth waiting for the fabled hays 6 whenever that may be as I know 6x6 hardware is still pretty poor. (I only have a modified vcube 6 from wayyyy back, but have restarted cubing after many years and have focused on 3-5 so far)
Absolutely not. Don't wait. The Hays 6 is a long way off.

Of the two, the Aoshi is much better over the Shadow.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Would it be worth making a separate category for puzzles that are illegal for blind events (printed logo) ootb? I would like to pick up a few Warrior Ws for MBLD, but they have logos. I’m not 100% sure which other stickerless cubes have printed logos.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
Would it be worth making a separate category for puzzles that are illegal for blind events (printed logo) ootb? I would like to pick up a few Warrior Ws for MBLD, but they have logos. I’m not 100% sure which other stickerless cubes have printed logos.

Don’t know if this will help, but I hope it does. (Also, I just got the Warrior W, it’s pretty nice.)

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Don’t know if this will help, but I hope it does. (Also, I just got the Warrior W, it’s pretty nice.)
This method doesn't work; it still leaves scratches.

I've done this with my stickerless thunderclap v2 and now it's illegal for BLD because the center got all scratched up. I threw a logo on the center so now I can use it for sighted solving in the event that all of my other cubes get stolen.

Are there any differences between the Gan 356 x and the Gan 354 INFINITY other than size and magnets, I'm looking to get one of these and I like the smaller size of the 354 but I've heard the Gan 356 x might perform better

Hey, I just found this other method while searching around! It seems like you'd have to buy something, but it seems very quick and effective as opposed to the slow process in Z3Cubing's video. Check it out!

xyzzy

Recommended 5x5x5:
  • Budget: YuXin Cloud 5x5 - $5.49
  • Great: YuXin 5x5 - $13.99
  • Expert: Cubicle WuShuang M 5x5 - $64.99 or MoYu AoChuang 5x5 GTS M - $39.99
The Yuxin Little Magic (factory-magnetised only; no non-magnetic version) deserves a spot in the "great" tier here. $14 on ZCube, $17 on the US stores.

xyzzy

is it better than the yuxin cloud m?
Judging from reviews (I don't have a Cloud/Cloud M), probably, but cube reviews also tend to be heavily biased towards recent puzzles, so take this with a grain of salt.

(I don't practise 555 a lot so I can't really tell how different cubes compare, beyond "this cube is good enough for me" versus "this cube is absolute trash". The YLM falls into the former category for me, together with my Wushuang M.)

Okay, for 3x3, I've had the Gan 356 Air S for my main, and I love the light smoothness. I'd like to try the Air SM, but also the GTS2M. Which one should I buy?

It's good advice though. I tried a bunch of cubes at my first comp and it was pretty neat. It's not particularly nice to reply to something like that with such sarcasm.

Well the closet comp in the next few months is approximately 200 miles from where I live, so... yeah... I'm gonna drive that far to try out a gts2m... I was kinda lookin' for a more immediate solution to my dilemma... Anyway I decided just to magnetized my current Air to save some cash and try out a few Cubicle Premium Cubes. I meant nothing to be 'mean' my comment, sorry...

Well the closet comp in the next few months is approximately 200 miles from where I live, so... yeah... I'm gonna drive that far to try out a gts2m... I was kinda lookin' for a more immediate solution to my dilemma... Anyway I decided just to magnetized my current Air to save some cash and try out a few Cubicle Premium Cubes. I meant nothing to be 'mean' my comment, sorry...
I’m sorry about that. You put your location as kfc, so I had to assume. anyway, what you’ve already decided sounds good. Cubicle premium cubes are always good! But in the future (like in later the the next couple of months future), just go to comps. You’ll buy only the cubes you really need, and if there’s a cube that you don’t like that you got, you can just sell or trade it.

Trexrush1

WCA
2013MAZU02
A few updates I would make:
2x2 Expert - Valk 2M
3x3 Budget - Remove MF3RS2 and add YJ Yulong v2M
3x3 Great - Remove YJ MGC and add GTS2M, and Cubing Classroom RS3M
5x5 Great - Change to Yuxin Little Magic 5x5 M
6x6 Great - Change to Moyu Aoshi GTSM. I personally much prefer it over the Shadow, and its cheaper.
7x7 Great and Expert - Change to XMD Spark M
Megaminx Expert - Add XMD Galaxy v2LM
Megaminx Great - Add XMD Galaxy v2L
Skewb Expert - Change to Moyu Aoyan M
Square-1 Budget - Add Yuxin Little Magic Square-1
Square-1 Great - Change to Yuxin Little Magic Square-1 M

Cubes that might make the cut (but I havent tried) are the yj yuchuang 5x5 v2m, the yuxin huanglong pyraminx, and any future entries in the yu- v2m line.

Add cubelelo as a store in india
Add soletta as a store in chile
there are also many local cube vedors in latin america
also one in spain thats like lioncube or smth like that

Trexrush1

WCA
2013MAZU02
I disagree with the above edit.

5x5 expert - moyu aochuang gts m, qiyi wushuang m, yuxin little magic m // ylm is not the best on the market. its good, but not the best
6x6 great - yuxin red // current list has a shadow, this is a step down.
6x6 expert - Moyu Aoshi GTSM, XMD shadow m, yuxin red //yuxin red is objectively worse

7x7 great - cyclone boys G7 //budget big cubes are a joke, at this point youre better off getting a spark

Skewb great - cyclone boys magnetic // fair, but wingy belongs here
Skewb expert - XMD wingy, moyu aoyan // aoyan is objectively better (and I only own a wingy), read the descriptions for what each category stands for

Megaminx great - YJMGC megaminx, Shengshou pearl m// any non-galaxy mega is a joke for anything above the budget category

Square-1 budget - qiyi Qifa sq1, mfsq1 //Yuxin is cheaper and better, and for only 3 bucks more you get the best squan on the market

Last edited: