• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which Cube Should I Get? Up To Date Recommendations

Featured Thread #161
Puzzle to Remove: None
Puzzle to Add: QiYi QiDi S 2x2
Reason: Still a solid first choice for beginner 2x2 solvers and comes alive if loosened by half a turn to a turn. I own this puzzle.

Puzzle to Remove: None
Puzzle to Add: MoYu Cubing Classroom Megaminx
Reason: Extremely stable and features a lot of grip, which is good for new Megaminx solvers. I own this puzzle.

I would also recommend that Tribox.jp be added to the shops on page one as there are puzzles listed on their site that I rarely see on others.

It might be a good idea to edit the list on page one to reflect which QiYi QiHeng is being recommended, the standard QiHeng or the QiHeng S.

I wouldn't recommend the Little Magic V2 megaminx as stiction between the pieces means it initially doesn't turn smoothly until tension is broken. Corner cutting is also not ideal, it feels cheap and it does not respond well to lube.

I would recommend the MoYu Cubing Classroom megaminx to beginners for the reasons I stated above plus the fact that it is available in stickered and stickerless and comes with washers under the springs, which extends the life of the puzzle.

The reviews of the Cubing Classroom Megaminx at the Cubicle is not as good as the Yuxin Little Magic megaminx and Qiheng megaminx. Cubing Classroom Megaminx has 3.5 star reviews at the Cubicle, while both Qiyi Qiheng megaminx and Yuxin Little Magic megaminx has 4.5 star reviews at the Cubicle.

The Cubing Classroom Megaminx do not have ridges. What do you mean by "features a lot of grip"?
The qiyi qidi s do not corner cut as well as the Yuxin little magic 2x2, and it has frosted plastic and weird shades.
I agree. I think that the qiheng id better (keep in mind I've never tried the little magic megaminx), as for the price it performs extremely well. for me, the qiyi qidi s was a cube I just didn't like at all, moreso than the warrior w. if you are willing to pay an extra amount of money, id recommend just getting the yj mgc 2x2 because of its great corner cutting, and top cube traits. the colour scheme is also awesome on it, compared to the weird shades and frosted exterior on the qiyi qidi s.

WCA
2016DOTY01
Puzzle to Remove: none
Puzzle to Add: yuxin little magic 2x2
Reason: cheaper than the YJ YuPo v2 M, but still good for beginners. Corner cuts better than the qiyi qidi s.

Puzzle to Remove: yj mgc 3x3
Puzzle to Add: yuxin little magic M 3x3
Reason: yuxin little magic M 3x3 is a solid choice for beginners since it is cheap and it is a stable cube. It corner cuts well.

Puzzle to Remove: qiyi mini wuque m
Puzzle to Add: moyu meilong M 4x4, yuxin little magic M 4x4
Reason: cheaper, new, great

Puzzle to Remove: moyu aochuang gts M, qiyi wushuang M
Puzzle to Add: Valk 5 M
Reason: best 5x5, good corner cut

Puzzle to Remove: MoFang JiaoShi MF7S 7x7, QiYi QiXing 7x7
Puzzle to Add: cyclone boys G7, yuxin little magic 7x7
Reason: cyclone boys G7 has less catches. yuxin little magic 7x7 is good option for cubers who want to try 7x7. link to a budget 7x7 comparison video here by Coach TabeCubing

Puzzle to Remove: yuxin hays 7
Puzzle to Add: yuxin little magic M 7x7
Reason: cheaper, and it is magnetic.

Puzzle to Remove: hays 7 M, X-man spark
Puzzle to Add: X-man spark M
Reason: it is the best option, although it is so expensive.

Puzzle to Remove: qiyi qifa s
Puzzle to Add: none
Reason: it strips.

Puzzle to Remove: X-man Volt
Puzzle to Add: Yuxin little magic M square-1
Reason: faster, "fully" magnetic.

Puzzle to Add: yuxin little magic v2 megaminx
Reason: also a good budget megaminx. It has ridges which helps a lot on grip.

Puzzle to Add: gan megaminx
Reason: it is one of the best megaminx. Light weight.

Puzzle to Remove: qiyi qicheng skewb
Puzzle to Add: cyclone boys magnetic skewb
Reason: cheap and magnetic, performs very well.

Puzzle to Add: yuxin Huang Long M pyraminx
Reason: not the best, but still great.
Hays is supposed to be better then the YLM M, lots of people still prefer the volt for squan, and why the heck would you remove the auchoung for 5x5? Stop making this about what you think is best, and make it about the the community thinks is best.

The reviews of the Cubing Classroom Megaminx at the Cubicle is not as good as the Yuxin Little Magic megaminx and Qiheng megaminx.
Um, why bother asking for the opinions of the members of this forum if you're going to base your findings on Cubicle reviews?

The Cubing Classroom Megaminx do not have ridges. What do you mean by "features a lot of grip"?
You can have grip without ridges you know? The Cubing Classroom megaminx has a very indented surface which gives a lot of grip, especially between pieces. Try holding one and you'll see what I mean.

The qiyi qidi s do not corner cut as well as the Yuxin little magic 2x2, and it has frosted plastic and weird shades.
I like frosted plastic. The Meilong puzzles have frosted plastic and you like them, don't you?

Oh, by the way...

Another great thing about the yj mgc 2x2 is its really nice box. it feels like you're getting a really quality puzzle.
I just had to add that quote for posterity... It's hilarious.

hey guys, as I started speedcubing 4 months ago, I'm new to this universe, and I don't have a good 5x5 cube yet , just a cheap and bad one.

I am willing to pay high, and would like to buy the best, or among the best three 5x5 cubes magnetics on the market, but I don't know the best cubes.

What are your recommendations? Tks

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
absoruud
I love cube boxes. I even kept my Qiyi qidi box and my x-man wingy skewb box. What annoys me about x-man products is that they don't have fancy boxes!
The only boxes so far that I threw out have been doubles and the WeiPo box. One one side I regret throwing out my WeiPo box, on the other side I'm debating throwing out my WeiPo too.