• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which Cube Should I Get? Up To Date Recommendations

location is not displayed due to character limit
WCA
2016EVAN06
Featured Thread #121
then what shall we put into great7x7?
I am thinking about great pyraminx too. the moyu pyraminx is only 1 dollar cheaper than the yuxin huang long m and the X-Men bell on the cubicle.
Just make it honest:
Budget: cyclone boys G7
Great: xman spark M
Expert: xman spark M

I don't know enough about pyraminx to help with that.

Just make it honest:

What about 4x4 and 5x5?
How do you think?
4x4 budget - cyclone boys feiteng mini
4x4 great - qiyi mini thunderclap m, shengshou mr.m 4x4
4x4 expert - qiyi wuque m, moyu aosu gts2m

5x5 budget - yuxin cloud
5x5 great - yuxin little magic m
5x5 expert - moyu aochuang gts m, qiyi wushuang m

5x5 Yuxin Cloud is generally good cube, not only in budget range.

I'm a beginner but I didn't see much difference in solving efficiency between:
- 4x4 Thunderclap Mini
- 4x4 Wuque
- 4x4 Yuxin Black Kylin
- 4x4 QiYi QiYuan S

Every cube was set and lubed by Traxxas 50k.

Just make it honest:

the aofu gts m is $15 cheaper than the xman spark M, while the yuxin hays7 m is the same price as the xman spark M. with the aofu gts m better and cheaper than the yuxin hays7 m, should we put the aofu gts m into 7x7 great with xman spark M?

5x5 Yuxin Cloud is generally good cube, not only in budget range.

I'm a beginner but I didn't see much difference in solving efficiency between:
- 4x4 Thunderclap Mini
- 4x4 Wuque
- 4x4 Yuxin Black Kylin
- 4x4 QiYi QiYuan S

Every cube was set and lubed by Traxxas 50k.
I disagree with you on 4x4.
for 4x4, I have a QiYi QiYuan S and a qiyi thunderclap m (regular size).
QiYi QiYuan S pops in every solve, and it has ugly and candish shade on the red size. regular corner cutting is not bad, just about a cuby. anything over won't lock up, but it pop instead. awful grip. I hate it.
However, the regular size qiyi thunderclap m is wonderful. It corner cuts just before 45 for regular, and half a cuby reverse. it is super smooth, in both inner and outer layers. no pops. it is fast and controllable. shades are great.
QiYi QiYuan S and the regular size qiyi thunderclap m are totally different. the regular size qiyi thunderclap m is great, while QiYi QiYuan S is a popping toy gun. qiyi thunderclap m is much better.

location is not displayed due to character limit
WCA
2016EVAN06
the aofu gts m is $15 cheaper than the xman spark M, while the yuxin hays7 m is the same price as the xman spark M. with the aofu gts m better and cheaper than the yuxin hays7 m, should we put the aofu gts m into 7x7 great with xman spark M?
I didn't realise, cubicle prices really do not reflect wholesale prices then. I guess you can put the aofu GTSM in great but it's quite a bit worse anyway.
4x4 will need updating soon but for now the aosu gts2m is best but I tried the valk 4 and it's better but not out just yet. For 5x5, the Moyu aochuang GTSM is the best and I think you could put the new yuxin magnetic 5x5 for great as it's quite good.

I didn't realise, cubicle prices really do not reflect wholesale prices then. I guess you can put the aofu GTSM in great but it's quite a bit worse anyway.
4x4 will need updating soon but for now the aosu gts2m is best but I tried the valk 4 and it's better but not out just yet. For 5x5, the Moyu aochuang GTSM is the best and I think you could put the new yuxin magnetic 5x5 for great as it's quite good.
I have placed the X-Men spark in 7x7 great.
I have put the yuxin little magic 5x5 m in 5x5 great since a long time ago.

Last edited:
The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
then what shall we put into great7x7?
I am thinking about great pyraminx too. the moyu pyraminx is only 1 dollar cheaper than the yuxin huang long m and the X-Men bell on the cubicle.
I would say great pyraminx is z magnetic and budget is the new Yulong v2m pyraminx for 8 dollars.

I would say great pyraminx is z magnetic and budget is the new Yulong v2m pyraminx for 8 dollars.
good to mention the z magnetic. It has frosted plastic on the stickerless version.
for the yj yulong v2m pyraminx, as it is still new, we can wait for unboxings and reviews.
the yj yulong v2m pyraminx features weak magnets, while the ShengShou mr.m pyraminx features insanely strong magnets. should the mr.m pyraminx be added onto the list?
Is the z magnetic better than the qiyi qiming A and the mr.m pyraminx?

Last edited:
4x4 budget - shengshou mr.m 4x4
4x4 great - qiyi mini thunderclap m, shengshou mr.m 4x4
4x4 expert - qiyi wuque mini m, moyu aosu gts2m

5x5 budget - yuxin cloud
5x5 great - yuxin little magic m
5x5 expert - moyu aochuang gts m, qiyi wushuang m
yj have also rolled out a yusu v2m 4x4 and a yuchuang v2m 5x5. there will be a valk4 and yuxin little magic 4x4 too. As there are also mr.m 4x4 and 5x5, the 4x4 and 5x5 recommendation list will have to change a lot.
Also, am I placing the mr.m 4x4 in the correct place? Some people love its smoothness and say that the mr.m is even better than the qiyi mini thunderclap. It is cheaper than the thunderclap, and it is magnetic.
Actually, I do not have enough information about the mr.m line. I have heard that the 3x3 is crappy, and the pyraminx have crazy strong magnets, maybe even stronger than the xmen bell. the 2x2 is smooth, but it lacks corner cutting. I have heard that the mr.m 4x4 and 5x5 are the best of the mr.m line, so I want to know more about the mr.m 4x4 and 5x5.
Any thoughts on 4x4 and 5x5?

Last edited:
I think out of the box, the aoshi gtsm is better, if you are sub2 and have them both really well set up then I think the shadow might be better but even then I am not sure.
I disagree with the very existence of a great 7x7, if you want a 7x7 get the spark, it's simple.
QiYi has rolled out a qifan 6x6 on their qi- budget line, completing the qiyi budget wca collections.
Have anyone tried the qifan 6x6? Is that a good budget cube competitive with the yuxin little magic 6x6 and the cyclone boys G6?
6x6 budget - Yuxin Little Magic, Cyclone Boys G6
6x6 great - MoYu AoShi GTS M
6x6 expert - XMD Shadow M

So keeping an update to date list of the most recommended cubes is certainly a useful resource. However, since many people have differing views on which is the best for each puzzle type and category, it makes it difficult to choose which one to actually put as the recommended puzzle.

Does anyone know of a site or resource that has a voting mechanism for the best speedcubes? I think adding a way for people to add puzzles and allow the community to vote up/down differing brands/puzzles would be the best long-term strategy for this. This way it's not just 1 person recommending stuff and it's the crowd, and the rankings can be done automatically as new puzzles are added and whatnot. Thoughts?
I have started a few threads for cubers to vote for different speed cubes in order to enhance the speed cube recommendation list.

Let's vote down/up those speed cubes.
Links to the polls:
budget 3x3s:
https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/budget-high-end-3x3-comparison.73563/
square1:
https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/best-square-1-comparison.73861/
pyraminx:
https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/best-pyraminx-comparison.73862/