• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which Cube Should I Get? Up To Date Recommendations

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
The old list is out of date and so is my old one so here goes another one

3x3:
Budget: Meilong M
Great: Wuwei, Guhong v4, RS3M 2020
Expert: Too many to count, it's worth doing your own research here

2x2:
Budget: Yupo v2 M
Great: Original MGC
Expert: MGC Elite 2x2, Valk 2, Gan 251, Flare, Xinghen TSM

4x4:
Budget: Little Magic M
Great: Zhilong M, Meilong M,
Expert: Aosu GTS2 M,

5x5:
Budget: Yuxin Cloud, Little Magic M
Great: Yuchuang v2 M
Expert: MGC, Valk 5, Aochuang GTS M, Aochuang WRM

6x6:
Great: Yushi v2 M, Shadow
Expert: MGC

7x7:
Budget: Yufu v2 M
Great: Hays 7 M, Aofu GTS M
Expert: MGC, Spark

Square 1:
Budget: Qifa
Great: Little Magic M
Expert: MGC, Volt v2

Mega:
Budget: Little Magic
Great: Galaxy v1
Expert: Yuhu v2, Galaxy v2, Gan, Dayan v2 (Not sure about this one, haven't tried it yet)

Pyra:
Budget: Yulong v2
Great: Yuxin Huanglong
Expert: Bell v2, Bell v1

Skewb:
Great: Moyu Magnetic
Expert: Aoyan, Wingy, Gan

Clock:
Budget: Lingao
Great: Shengshou
Expert: Qiyi

Before you go typing away about me putting cheaper cubes in the expert category than those in the great category yes I know that. The budget category is the only one that I used price to decide what goes in it. Expert and Great are both based completely on pure performance. Yes, I know that this isn't the system pjk used.

If you have any additional insight on these puzzles (or on some non-wca puzzles) please share it in the thread as the more information people have the more likely they are to pick a puzzle they enjoy.
Great list. The only thing I can suggest is to put the MS series in Budget for 2-5 and Pyraminx.

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
The old list is out of date and so is my old one so here goes another one

3x3:
Budget: Meilong M
Great: Wuwei, Guhong v4, RS3M 2020
Expert: Too many to count, it's worth doing your own research here

2x2:
Budget: Yupo v2 M
Great: Original MGC
Expert: MGC Elite 2x2, Valk 2, Gan 251, Flare, Xinghen TSM

4x4:
Great: Zhilong M, Meilong M,
Expert: Aosu GTS2 M,

5x5:
Budget: Yuxin Cloud, Little Magic M
Great: Yuchuang v2 M
Expert: MGC, Valk 5, Aochuang GTS M, Aochuang WRM

6x6:
Great: Yushi v2 M, Shadow
Expert: MGC

7x7:
Budget: Yufu v2 M
Great: Hays 7 M, Aofu GTS M
Expert: MGC, Spark

Square 1:
Budget: Qifa
Great: Little Magic M
Expert: MGC, Volt v2

Mega:
Great: Galaxy v1
Expert: Yuhu v2, Galaxy v2, Gan, Dayan v2 (Not sure about this one, haven't tried it yet)

Pyra:
Budget: Yulong v2
Great: Yuxin Huanglong
Expert: Bell v2, Bell v1

Skewb:
Great: Moyu Magnetic
Expert: Aoyan, Wingy, Gan

Clock:
Budget: Lingao
Great: Shengshou
Expert: Qiyi

Before you go typing away about me putting cheaper cubes in the expert category than those in the great category yes I know that. The budget category is the only one that I used price to decide what goes in it. Expert and Great are both based completely on pure performance. Yes, I know that this isn't the system pjk used.

If you have any additional insight on these puzzles (or on some non-wca puzzles) please share it in the thread as the more information people have the more likely they are to pick a puzzle they enjoy.
Good list. I would suggest you add the Tengyun 2x2, MGC and Ambition 4x4, and the Gan and Mr. M pyras

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
is the yuxin cloud any good? same with yushi 6x6.

maybe there should be an ultra budget non magnetic category for people who just want a puzzle for casual solving.
The yuxin cloud is pretty good, especially for its age, but it's not super great compared to any magnetic counterpart.

As for the yushi, I would actually say it's the second-best on the market. I mained it for a while before the MGC came out and its still solid to this day. I can certainly tell you that it's a fantastic puzzle, and so will @Tabe who also mained it for a while.

As for the ultra budget stuff It's not a huge deal which one you get, so picking the cheapest thing on the website will suffice (except for that one tiny 6x6, that one sucks)
Great list. The only thing I can suggest is to put the MS series in Budget for 2-5 and Pyraminx.
I actually kind of forgot about those cubes, but they are on the list now.
Good list. I would suggest you add the Tengyun 2x2, MGC and Ambition 4x4, and the Gan and Mr. M pyras
Which MGC? There's literally one for every "good" event. I'll add the rest though. The tengyun has been a pretty good niche pick since its come out, and I hope to try one someday.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
My brother has been wanting to get a new skewb for a while but he's not sure which is the best one
Just get the aoyan. The gan is pretty expensive and I still use the aoyan to this day, I think it's slightly better than the wingy but I haven't tried the gan skewb. However, I would keep in mind gan never made a skewb, and moyu has made plenty that was/is top of the line for their times.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Like I said, the Meilong is basically the same thing, so you could get that.

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
Like I said, the Meilong is basically the same thing, so you could get that.

much cheaper too
EDIT: compared to the YLM @BenChristman1

Fast Tim

Any 4x4 recommendations? Price doesn’t matter much but if there’re two with similar performances, I’ll go for the cheaper one. Btw I have started 4x4 long time ago, but with a non-magnetic trash cube which has bad corner

Fast Tim

Any 4x4 recommendations? Price doesn’t matter much but if there’re two with similar performances, I’ll go for the cheaper one. Btw I have started 4x4 long time ago, but with a non-magnetic trash cube which has bad corner
corner cutting*
sorry for the typo

povlhp

MGC is recommended for 4x4 and up. To me the 4x4 was the worst of the bigger mgc out of the box. Now broken in it is fine.
it is way better than the bad RS4M.