• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which Cube Should I Get? Up To Date Recommendations

GAN 356 X

Question.

I’m contemplating on going all out on the Cosmic 356XS with PVC. But can’t justify the price. So will be most likely going for all cosmic + PVC with the MF3RS3M.
What’s your take in this? I know for sure that by the time I learn full PLL AND OLL that a new main 3x3 will come out ( reason 356xs makes no sense).
What should I do?
Have you tried an XS at a comp? I'd make sure you really like a cube before spending like a 100 bucks on it.

Jchap808

Have you tried an XS at a comp? I'd make sure you really like a cube before spending like a 100 bucks on it.

Very true, no for comp. I honestly don't think of trying the comp avenue until later when I learn more. I'm just thinking of a cube that will last a long time without the thought of upgrading for a while.

Question.

I’m contemplating on going all out on the Cosmic 356XS with PVC. But can’t justify the price. So will be most likely going for all cosmic + PVC with the MF3RS3M.
What’s your take in this? I know for sure that by the time I learn full PLL AND OLL that a new main 3x3 will come out ( reason 356xs makes no sense).
What should I do?
Get an MGC elite.

GAN 356 X

Very true, no for comp. I honestly don't think of trying the comp avenue until later when I learn more. I'm just thinking of a cube that will last a long time without the thought of upgrading for a while.
Having a cube that will make you enjoy solving makes a huge difference too. After upgrading from my Huanglong 5x5 to my MGC, 5x5 has become one of my most practiced events. Quick question, what is your current average and main?

Get an MGC elite.
My friend has one of them and he says its very good. Haven;t tried it myself cos he lives in QLD, but all the same he's very happy with it

Jchap808

Having a cube that will make you enjoy solving makes a huge difference too. After upgrading from my Huanglong 5x5 to my MGC, 5x5 has become one of my most practiced events. Quick question, what is your current average and main?

My friend has one of them and he says its very good. Haven;t tried it myself cos he lives in QLD, but all the same he's very happy with it

I feel like the mgc elite would be a viable option. Now to decide wether or not I want the cosmic/nova pvc option.

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thx, will look into those.
I should have noted that I‘d like to have as much consistency in my 2x2-howevermany layers. Meaning I‘d prefer cubic, stickerless, similar shades as much as possible(Though I wouldn‘t buy a terrible cube just because the shades are more similar to the rest) and the increase in size should be consistant too. It‘s mostly for collecting and display, although I‘d still solve them so turning should be decent too.

Last edited:
WCA
2014HOLD01
Personally, I have always bought my puzzles at speedcube.com.au. Free express shipping over $100 and a rewards system. Always great service. I have contemplated buying speedcubes at dailypuzzles but in the past they haven’t had the newest hardware, and have been more expensive. I have recently looked at their site, and it seems they have lots more cubes to offer and looks more professional then before, but I still don’t believe their overall store is better than speedcube.com au. However, it is worth adding because I know plenty of people who shop there :).

EDIT: I’ve been trying some of my friends 2x2’s and thought the GAN 251, Dayan Tengyun and WR Weipo were as good as the Valk 2 and I think they’re worth adding, anyone else agree?
thank you for your support - really appreciate your loyalty. We have just released an updated speedcube rewards program and have moved everyone up one tier and added bonus points - we believe this is the best rewards program in the business. There are also discount codes if you know where to look...
Also, importantly every product review on our site is a real review, written by customers like you who actually purchased the product from our store and have real experience with the product. This really assists customers like you making informed buying choices and we are very proud of our customer reviews and highly rated service.

We look forward to seeing you again!

brododragon

This summer (when it finally comes up here in Minnesota) I want to try solving a cube underwater. It seems like a fun challenge that I want to try. I was wondering which cube(s) would be the best for solving underwater (2x2 and 3x3). Thanks in advance for the help!
Honestly, I would use a cheap Amazon cube.

OK, first of all, you have to know that you have to clean and dry the screws, springs, and pieces once you're done.
Yuxin cubes are quite popular for this, so either a Huaulong or a YLM should do the trick.

WCA
2018BRUM01
When it comes to the best, the cubes that are best out of the water are probably the best in water but I doubt you would want to ruin a cube like that. I would recommend a meilong because they are cheap, and respond to lube really well... and when you think about it all water is a very thin lube that just so happens to ruin the core and springs of your cube. BTW, never buy cubes off of Amazon. That is the #1 way you know that you are spending more than you have to for the same thing.