• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which cube revolutionized speedcubing the most?

D

Deleted member 19792

Alpha or Type A since it was the first speedcube I guess.

LeighSC

I've only been around for about a year, and from what I have seen, the Aosu wins by a fair distance.

Not exactly part of the question but I would say that the emergence of Moyu seems to be one of the most revolutionary events in speedcubing.

LucidCuber

WCA
2006AUST01
I'm tempted to say the Dayan. The weilong was an improvement, and the aolong an improvement on the weilong, but the Dayan was the first mass produced cube which basically came straight out of the box as good as the best modified and lubed speedcubes before it.

Randomno

Banned
WCA
2014STAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm tempted to say the Dayan. The weilong was an improvement, and the aolong an improvement on the weilong, but the Dayan was the first mass produced cube which basically came straight out of the box as good as the best modified and lubed speedcubes before it.

Dayan is a company, not a cube. You mean the GuHong?

Randomno

Banned
WCA
2014STAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have to ask, how the heck did Dayan come up with the GuHong mechanism? Because before the GuHong, literally every cube was a slightly modified Rubik's brand.

Maybe some company thought "cubes might be faster if the pieces aren't shaped like exact cubes"... The reason I slightly dislike my 3x3x4, trying to reverse corner cut almost rips the cube apart.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
GuHong. It's still competitive and it's been out for 4 years (?).

I have to ask, how the heck did Dayan come up with the GuHong mechanism? Because before the GuHong, literally every cube was a slightly modified Rubik's brand.

They knocked off the awful V-3 from the future but left out the torpedoes.

Last edited:
WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd say the GuHong, and anyone who says AoSu is silly or clearly hasn't been around long enough. V-cubes 5-7 made a big impact too, although they were really a one-hit-wonder for the mech idea - they weren't good at actually making the best use of it or trying to help the speedcubing community, whereas Dayan continued to make high quality cubes and innovate further.