• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which Brand is this?

Lloyd1337

http://www.strangepuzzle.com/videos/3x3x3%...ort%2012.91.wmv

Which brand of cube is being used in that video? It appears to be very stable and durable, and twists nicely. Also, it seems to kind of "click" into place. And I like the sound it makes.

The bright stickers make me think it's Mefferts.

The reason I'm asking is because my 3x3 Rubik's brand DIY cube exploded again today(I was just getting up to speed), and I can't seem to find one of the pieces that went flying. I'm sure it will turn up in a week or two, but I felt restricted by the cube's looseness. I would hold back for fear of exploding it, so I didn't get very good times.

Which brands would you guys recommend? I'm so tired of my cube exploding whenever I do anything. Also, good stickers/tiles are a plus as well, but I can always replace them. =/

Lloyd1337

Hmm... Other than Rubik's, Mefferts, and Eastsheen, what other brands are there?

I'm looking for a good quality cube that won't explode during my solve, and that moves quickly. So far, I've only tried the Rubik's store bought cube(most of the stickers died, and it was slow, even when lubed), and the Rubik's DIY cube(faster, but the cube explodes no matter how much I adjust the spring tension and apply lube).

Does anyone know what brands the professional speedcubers use? And what brands do you guys use?

Also, can anyone identify the cube in this image?

It came with my Square-1, but it is almost impossible to turn, and the mechanism is a bit different. Also, I have trouble telling the colors apart(Red, Dark Red, and Reddish-Orange).

Scott

Well first off, there is no such thing as a professional speedcuber. the term professional implies that they make a living off of what they do.

Also, Rubik's really does have the best cubes. Get a DIY cube and lube it up, and also keep it faily tight to avoid pops.

Lloyd1337

Originally posted by Scott@Jun 14 2006, 07:24 PM
Well first off, there is no such thing as a professional speedcuber. the term professional implies that they make a living off of what they do.

Also, Rubik's really does have the best cubes. Get a DIY cube and lube it up, and also keep it faily tight to avoid pops.
I have a DIY cube and it is lubed. It is also tightened to the point where I can still twist it easily, and the spring tension is even on each side. It still pops frequently.

Lloyd1337

Hmm... What exactly is the difference between stickers and tiles? I'm thinking about ordering some.

cubehead

yes, tiles are definitely the way to go. stickers to me are considered "disposable."

i have a little bit of a problem with my tiles, though... after a while the corners fold up a little bit, and won't go back down. so i have to chip them off myself so it doesn't scratch me while cubing, and so the tile doesn't come off completely. does anybody know what causes this?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
Hmm... I have only used 1 cube with tiles, and I was told that titles are pretty much everlasting. I have no idea why they would cheap, unless it is some "cheaper" type of plastic.