• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which algs?

CubeAddict

hey everyone i finally average under a min, 55 sec with the begginers method. I decided to learn the 3 look last layer. I just don't know which algs to memorize. I believe you have to know all 21 permutations?

Thanks

doubleyou

for a complete 3 Look you need all the 21 PLLs plus some orientations.
fx. in the case where you have nothing (one dot on top) you have to orient some edges, then make "the fish", then finish the orientation.

I am not sure what exact orientations to know for being able to orient in two looks, but I think the its about 10-15.

I recommend that you get the 4LLL first. this means the same number of orientations. but only aditional 3 PLLs. The H, Z and Y. then with the basic As and Us, you can get the permutation in two looks.

get this down to 50 seconds before moving on

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
I agree with doubleyou, work on a 4LLL, and get your times sub-60 seconds before you move on.

InfiniteZero

I also want to know which algs I should use for 3 look. I am right handed and want to know which algs you guys use?

I have already got a SIMPLE 4 look LL mastered

Perms i know

AAUUZH

Arakron

There's no way for someone else to tell you what the best alg is to use. You should "shop around" for a bunch of options, and decide which one of them you think will work best for your hands. I think Bob Burton's PLL page, in addition to his algs, has a long list of links to other PLL pages you can look at.
As for the OLL part, assuming you have the 2-edge EO's, sune, and antisune, you need to learn a 4-edge flip as well as the remainder of the 7 corners-only cases.

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My 3LLL is to make a cross (orient edges), orient corners, PLL.

2 algs for EO, 7 for CO, 21 for PLL. Just requires a little thought on the final F2L pair, else I'll run into a 4LLL occasionally.

I learned my PLLs by the easiest ones to memorize. A mistake on my part, and I have to relearn a bunch of them now to improve speed (usually a 5 sec PLL). Though, I already relearned U's, T, H, and Y (all found on Macky's site) and those are my fastest PLLs, just to give you an idea.

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
I personally don't agree with people who say you have to improve first to move on to a 3LLL. When you feel motivated to learn the PLL's, I'd say you should go for it. If you are a beginner, you have to benefit from every motivation you have :).

Good luck!

- Jo?l.

P.S.: After reading the Topic starters post again, I do want to add that it makes more sense to learn F2L before you learn the permutations.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with Jo?l that you probably should focus on F2L more than on last layer. However there is no reason you can't do both at the same time if you are very motivated. (I am lazy when it comes to learning new things. I use a 4 look and not even regular F2L, but I can still do a sub-26 average)

The most common way to do 3 look last layer is Edge-OLL, Corner-OLL, PLL. But you could also use edge-control to do Edge-OLL during F2L and then use Corner-OLL, Corner-PLL, Edge-PLL.

For the most common way I already wrote this:
For a complete 4 look, all you need is the previous 7 + 9 extra = 16 algs, so you never have to repeat any of them

Edge OLL (step 1):
1-1, 0 edges) L' l U l' U2 l U L' U l' L2
1-2, 2 edges, diagonal) F U R U' R' F'
1-3, 2 edges, horizontal) F R U R' U' F'

Corners OLL (step 2):
2-1, 1 corner, sune) R U R' U R U2 R'
2-2, 1 corner, anti-sune) R U2 R' U' R U' R'
2-3, 0 corners, extended sune/racecar) R U R' U R U' R' U R U2 R'
2-4, 0 corners, T) R U2 R2 U' R2 U' R2 U2 R
2-5, 2 corners, Front) R' F' L F R F' L' F
2-6, 2 corners, Left) R' F' L' F R F' L F
2-7, 2 corners, Back) R2 D' R U2 R' D R U2 R

Corners PLL (step 3):
3-1, 3-cycle) R' F R' B2 R F' R' B2 R2
3-2, diagonal swap/small r) L' U' L F2 R' D R U R2 D' R2 U' F2

Edges PLL (step 4):
4-1, 3 cycle left) F2 U L R' F2 L' R U F2
4-2, 3 cycle right) F2 U' L R' F2 L' R U' F2
4-3, 4 cycle straight/cross) r2 R2 U' r2 R2 U2 r2 R2 U' r2 R2
4-4, 4 cycle diagonal/z) R' U' R U' R U R U' R' U R U R2 U' R' U2

Worst-case could mean 1+1+1+1=4 look.

Next step would be to learn how to combine step 3 and 4 to do full PLL. For that you would need to learn the 6 PLL algs + 15 extra PLL algs = 21 PLL algs. Combined with 3+7 OLL algs = 31 algs for a 3 look
We already have a PLL-topic on this forum and PLL-algs are all over the internet.