• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Where do you stop being a beginner and become a speedcuber?

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ironically, not definite which section this should go in (speedcubing or beginners section), but any thoughts? I wouldve said sub 1-min but any other ideas? P.S please let me know if this should go anywhere else.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
When you're not just solving the cube to solve it and start trying to improve your times, you're a speedcuber. But there are plenty of beginner speedcubers.

Ron

WCA
2003BRUC01
Speedcubing is a hobby. You are a speedcuber if you think speedcubing is your hobby.
You may be the best soccer player in the world, but if you never play soccer, then you are not a soccer player.
You may be a slow speedcuber, but you are still a speedcuber.

You may want to discuss who you think is a slow or a fast speedcuber.

Have fun,

Ron

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
i wouldnt call someone who solves the cube in 3 minutes a "speedcuber", because... there is simply no speed involved, relatively speaking of course :)
Besides there is the fact that it degrades me (and many others below me) in a sense, because I enjoy thinking of myself as a speedcuber :p

So anyway to me clearly that definition does not suffice. Imo speedcubing starts at around 40 seconds. If you get that far, you have shown that you are interested enough in the cube to have learned some new algorithms and that you actually care about your speed.

Hadley4000

WCA
2008SHEF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Like the guy said in the extra second of Pursuit of Happyness, it just depends on your intentions. If you are at 2 minutes, and practice so you can hit sub minute, if you are at sub-minute and want to be faster, you are a speedcuber.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i wouldnt call someone who solves the cube in 3 minutes a "speedcuber", because... there is simply no speed involved, relatively speaking of course :)
Besides there is the fact that it degrades me (and many others below me) in a sense, because I enjoy thinking of myself as a speedcuber :p

So anyway to me clearly that definition does not suffice. Imo speedcubing starts at around 40 seconds. If you get that far, you have shown that you are interested enough in the cube to have learned some new algorithms and that you actually care about your speed.

Damn it! That means I hit sub 20 maybe 8 month after I started speedcubing. I submitted one year 5 days. Thanks a lot. :p

I'd say if you actually bothered to join this forum, you are a speedcubist.
(what's the difference between cubist and cuber? I use cubist as a noun and cuber as an adjective.) For example, Picasso is a cubist, and he is so much cuber than all the noobs.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I also think that if you solve the cube, and care about the time taken to solve and not just the solve itself, then you are a speedcuber.

Also, there was a big transition because of the documentary "Cubers". We all used to say speedcubist, or speedcubists. After the first trailers for "Cubers" the documentary came out, and also after the media at the 2003 World Championships started calling us cubers, we all took to the term too.

Back then I thought calling myself a "cuber" sounded weird, and I preferred "cubist". Now, calling myself a "cubist" sounds weird.

Chris

A_Qber

speedcubers are people who try and solve the cube at fast times. everyone thinks differently on how fast a speedcuber should be. for me, i think they should be less than 20 seconds... (I'm only at sub 40):(

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i dunno about sub-20... practically, that requires 2LookLL which is 78 algorithms (obviously not including learning dirty F2l algs), which is a LOT to learn... i think its possible to be a speedcuber without that. maybe im only saying that because i only just became a 3-Looker :S also, what does everyone think constitutes a speed-learner? Ive been cubing for about 10 weeks and am comfortably sub-30. any ideas?

I like Erik's definition of a speedcuber:

"speedcubing means solve the Rubik's Cube as fast as you can with the desire of doing it faster every time, so it doesn't matter if you are at 10 minutes or 15 seconds of average to be a 'speedcuber'."