• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Where can I find a good cube

Shawn

I've looked in a couple stores (walgreens, Walmart), and I can only find this one that has a silver instead of a white side and on this silver side it says "25 years."

My biggest problem with thise one is that it seems much too stiff and jamms easily. This is obviously a problem when trying to solve it quickly. Plus, the stickers have started to peel after a day of use. I have tried taking it apart and the pieces wont come off.

Is the one on store at rubiks.com the same one I already have? Are there any stores anyone can suggest to look at? Where did you get your cubes? I have heard people say they use a DIY, what exactly is this?

dougreed

Shawn,

These 25th anniversary cubes are okay once they are broken in. They are essentially the same as the cubes from rubiks.com, as far as I know, apart from the silver stickers.

I suggest taking some sandpaper to the internals to wear down any manufacturing defects and using it without lubrication for a few days. You should be able to get it apart by turning the top layer 45 degrees and prying up an edge piece with a knife. After that, you should take it apart again and clean out the internals and spray in some silicon spray.

If you want the best cube on the market at the moment, you should get a Rubik's.com Do-It-Yourself (DIY) cube. They come completely disassembled and have screws instead of rivets so you can fine-tune the tension of each side.

For better stickers, I suggest the stickers and textured tiles from http://www.cubesmith.com .

HTH,
Doug

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Yep. I think those ones at Walmart at good, the $10 ones. The stickers arent good, so use it, once the stickers get bad, go to cubesmith.com and get some stickers, put them on, and the cube will be like new. Get some silicone lube, I picked up a bottle of silicone spray for $3.39 at Big R. Then your cube will be lubed up, and like new. Good luck,
Pat

Shawn

Does anyone have '25 years' one I described? Its a rubiks.com brand. I just want to know if I should try and fix/get used to this one or if the DIY would be much better. (I dont want to order one and find it isnt much different)

i bought one. it was #9 to be exact. i hadn't learned of the replacement stickers yet (that was a $90 mistake!!!...i guess eventually we get better at every aspect of cubing). the stickers on the 25 year cube lasted me 3! days. i was quite surprised at how fast it was out of the box. with lube, it's pretty great still and my girlfriend uses it as her primary cube.

i bought the DIY and it's good. you can set it up to your exact specs and you're off to the races. currently, my main cube is a circa '82 cube that i was given for xmas when i was 8. when i told my folks about my new cubing habit they sent it to me. after removing the 6lbs of dust from the inside, and spraying it with lube (finger ease...its a lube for guitarists to protect/lubricate strings...works great for about 10 hours of use...then just repeat) it's amazing.

i'll probably switch back to the DIY because my '82 cube still has the original stickers on it and there is something sentimental about that.

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use a 25th ani too, when I bought it it had no silver side but just white, the stickers are horrible indeed, just get some from cubesmith.com. A bit of spray and they are pretty nice. Maybe DIY are a bit better indeed I think, but they are a bit expensive unless you buy a whole lot of them...