• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Where am I losing the most time?

InfiniteZero

Cross |6.500
F2L |26.938
OLL | 7.640
PLL| 11.156

Total| 52.234

I 4 Look LL (OLLE,OLLC,PLLC,PLLE}

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Work on the F2L first. 6 second cross can be taken down to aroudn 4 seconds with just a little practice. On the F2L (after the cross), work on looking ahead and flowing smoothly. Your OLL isn't too bad, that will improve with time and practice, your PLL needs a little work too, but that will also improve while you just solve. I'd say work on your F2L first.

Hubdra

I was wondering if I could receive the same advice...

Cross 3.947
F2L 13.687
OLL 4.668
PLL 5.371
Total 28.337

I did an average of 10/12, and I use 3LL, I just recently learned all of the PLLs.

tenderchkn

Infinite: People will get on you for F2L, but no way it should take your 11 seconds to do PLL. Practice those algorithms, because corner and edge cycles should be your fastest ones (except for V-perm or whatever you use, sub-2 on the edge cycles and sub-2.5 on everything else isn't difficult).

tenderchkn

Even if you give him 3 seconds per alg, that's 6 seconds. And that's pretty much the easiest 5 seconds you'll shave off.

InfiniteZero

At that time (few hours ago) I used a tight, not broken into, unlubricated cube.

Edit: And to tender,

For the 11 second PLL, I use two alg's for the diagonal switch (thats the 11 second)

dChan

WCA
2007CHAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Originally posted by InfiniteZero@May 13 2007, 05:11 AM
Cross |6.500
F2L |26.938
OLL | 7.640
PLL| 11.156

Total| 52.234

I 4 Look LL (OLLE,OLLC,PLLC,PLLE}
Your cross is fine for a beginner but your F2L is totally messed up. 26 seconds is a bit too long but I remember only a month or two ago when my F2L sucked too. Do your F2L nice and slow with no pausing at all. This will help your times and teach you to look ahead. Also learn all 21 permutations and the 7 OLLs for the corners. You can get by with an intuitive F2L and a 3-look LL but not with a 4 look. Just look at my times in my sig. I'm not even using Fridrich F2L. So if you want to average sub-30 and below I suggest to start learning some new tricks. My actual average is 24-25 seconds but I'm too lazy to do some math to find the exact time, lol.

Don't forget, practice makes perfect. And don't be like me, please learn full Fridrich F2L if you are not already using it.

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You say the cross is fine, but you can still cut around 4s. Just do loads of scrambles, spending aslong as you want to try look for the fastest cross.

InfiniteZero

dChan,

Intuitive F2l isn't much different from full Fridrich F2l. The moves and how effecient you do it is the only difference :lol: You don't need to learn any alg's for F2l at all! (I think you should start F-F2L

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Originally posted by InfiniteZero@May 14 2007, 11:48 PM
dChan,

Intuitive F2l isn't much different from full Fridrich F2l. The moves and how effecient you do it is the only difference :lol: You don't need to learn any alg's for F2l at all! (I think you should start F-F2L
Ah great, another intuitive F2L fan :D
Actualy I think the only difference is how you do it, it's not realy slower...
Also it is faster to learn and you get more insight in the cube..

KJiptner

WCA
2007JIPT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Funny thing is, I learned F2L by algs. And after a while knew how they work, and then removed all non-intuitive algs. So I still only do sequences that are all intuitive (simple pair up and insert). It has two reasons: 1) Intuitive ways are easier to pair-up and insert from all angles / into any slot 2) It is easier to look ahead when you are using an easy way

I'm not sure if I'll ever use fancy shortcuts (or if I should maybe do that).