• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

When should I learn CLL.

Should I learn CLL?

• Learn CLL just because why not.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Learn CLL so you can keep getting faster.

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • Stick with Ortega

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Just stop. 2x2 is a joke

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

TheCube4226

WCA
2018SEGA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm currently averaging about 4.2 seconds with Ortega. I feel like I'm coming close to the point where I should learn CLL. I enjoy 2x2 because it's so quick (and partially because it's luck based. I got a 0.59 single a few months ago lmao) but I'm starting to get bored of Ortega. Who thinks I should learn CLL?

KujaCube

Hi TheCube4226,

I am averaging sub-2 and I think I can help you.
The question is:
How fast do you want to get?
If you just want to get consistantly sub-4, Ortega will be fine for you.
But if you want to get times like sub-3, you should learn CLL.
Learn it now, your times will get so much faster, even though it takes some time!
And if you have easy cases, you can onelook your solves and get some sub-2s !

I hope you learn CLL and do not get bored of learning 42 algs!

Sorry about my english. I am from Germany and I dont speak it that well.

I think it is a great time to learn CLL. It is very fun, and it allows you to one look a lot more solves and get fast singles. I learned it when I was about as fast as you are now, and it has almost got me to sub-3.

Cuber2113

I avg around 3.5 with Ortega and learned some cll cases. So prolly start when you get like sub4.

efattah

If you make a random face on a 2x2 there is a 66% chance it will be an EG-1 face, and 16% chance it will be a CLL face and 16% chance it will be an EG-2 face. So after Ortega the next step is to learn EG-1 which is the route I took, and only after mastering EG-1 did I then go on to learn CLL, and even now, EG-1 solves happen way more often.

Skittleskp

WCA
2019PATE10
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you make a random face on a 2x2 there is a 66% chance it will be an EG-1 face, and 16% chance it will be a CLL face and 16% chance it will be an EG-2 face. So after Ortega the next step is to learn EG-1 which is the route I took, and only after mastering EG-1 did I then go on to learn CLL, and even now, EG-1 solves happen way more often.
I might be wrong but isn't it 25 25 50?
66 16 and 16 = 98

AegisSharp

While it is true that eg-1 is more likely to come up if you are simply solving a face, I would still recommend learning cll first as I think it is a better 2-look method for three reasons. Firstly, you know at least 9/42 cases, so there is less to learn (or 7/40 depending on whether you include solved-oll cases as cll). Secondly, cll algs are generally nicer/easier to learn than eg1 algs. Finally, for eg1 the bar has to be on the back which can lead to a rotation or awkward fingertricks.

Hazel

Premium Member
While it is true that eg-1 is more likely to come up if you are simply solving a face, I would still recommend learning cll first as I think it is a better 2-look method for three reasons. Firstly, you know at least 9/42 cases, so there is less to learn (or 7/40 depending on whether you include solved-oll cases as cll). Secondly, cll algs are generally nicer/easier to learn than eg1 algs. Finally, for eg1 the bar has to be on the back which can lead to a rotation or awkward fingertricks.
Yep! while there's only a 1/6 chance of getting a CLL and I think a 4/6 chance of EG-1, the chance you'll get an EG-1 face with the bar already in the back is also only 1/6.

TheCube4226

WCA
2018SEGA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi TheCube4226,

I am averaging sub-2 and I think I can help you.
The question is:
How fast do you want to get?
If you just want to get consistantly sub-4, Ortega will be fine for you.
But if you want to get times like sub-3, you should learn CLL.
Learn it now, your times will get so much faster, even though it takes some time!
And if you have easy cases, you can onelook your solves and get some sub-2s !

I hope you learn CLL and do not get bored of learning 42 algs!

Sorry about my english. I am from Germany and I dont speak it that well.
Hey, sorry I took so long to get back. Things have been busy.
Ideally I would like to be sub-3 and I don't see that happening with Ortega. I have my average down to 4 flat with about 45-50% of my solves being sub-4. Thanks for the input! That really helps! I'm learning CLL

TheCube4226

WCA
2018SEGA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just as an update for anybody who cares, I'm learning CLL. I've only had time to learn a few algs (like 15) but this week I'm going start doing one or two per day. Thanks for all the attention on this thread!!