• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

When should I learn CLL?

Aerith

Im averaging about 6-10 seconds with ortega method, should i switch now??

PurpleBanana

The conventional wisdom seems to be to wait until you're sub-4 with Ortega. That never made sense to me; I switched to CLL when I was averaging about 6. There's certainly no harm in you starting to learn the CLL algorithms now.

JTWong71

For me if I know I am going to be learning a set of algorithms, I will try to learn them as soon as I can without learning them too fast. I started learning full OLL and PLL on the 3x3 when I was averaging around 25-30 seconds. For the 2x2, I haven't really been using it that much but I can use CxLL algorithms to solve the last layer in one step. I think you should start learning CLL now if you know you are going to learn them at some point.

mjm

WCA
2015MAHE01
The conventional wisdom seems to be to wait until you're sub-4 with Ortega.
I've only heard Kennan say that, and while I understand his reasoning, I think you should learn it whenever you please. Personally, I wish I learned it before I was sub-4, and sort of regret it because I could indeed be averaging 3-3.2 with CLL by now. It's really a case-by-case thing, and if you aren't bothered by spending however long it will take to learn it, go for it. After all, the best way to get better with a method is to use it!