• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

When is a cube "Dead"?

Thread starter #1
I have a GTS2M which I've had for two years, and the performance isn't as amazing as it once was. I was wondering when the right time to buy a new cube was, and how I could tell if my cube was "Dead"

Thanks in advance :)

I have no experience of dead cubes. I also have a GtS2M i got a month ago, and I don't feel like its deteriorationg. By dead, do you mean turns slower, can't corner ut as well, catchs more, etc?

Thread starter #6
I have no experience of dead cubes. I also have a GtS2M i got a month ago, and I don't feel like its deteriorationg. By dead, do you mean turns slower, can't corner ut as well, catchs more, etc?
It locks up a lot, isn't very smooth, corner-cutting is very poor, locks up a lot, and it's very slow.

It locks up a lot, isn't very smooth, corner-cutting is very poor, locks up a lot, and it's very slow.
Thats sad. Disassemble the cube and have a look at the interior. There may be something wrong inside. Check the tensions as well, possibly the tensions somehow changed as you cubed for 2 years, slowly turning the screws until it’s too tight. Once I had a small rock inside my cube, and it made a horrible rattling noise every time I turned, until I disassembled, and it fell out.

If that doesn’t work, maybe it’s time for a new cube.

WCA
2018TRUD02
I have a GTS2M which I've had for two years, and the performance isn't as amazing as it once was. I was wondering when the right time to buy a new cube was, and how I could tell if my cube was "Dead"

Thanks in advance :)
Before you put it on at the back of your shelf and buy a new one...

Take the cube apart completely. Clean every piece thoroughly of any flash plastic or dried lube/residue. Check for damage.
Clean springs. Check to see if they still compress correctly. If they are unsatisfactory, buy replacements or use springs from another cube if you can. I have heard MF3RS2 springs in a GTS2M are pretty nice.
Retension. Make sure that every side is even.
Relube however you see fit. Be careful of using water-based lubes on metal pieces.

Break in the cube, do a bunch of solves.
If the cube is STILL not performing well, and is substandard, then congratulations. You have learned what a truly dead cube feels like.

Generally speaking, if you have to ask about whether or not your cube is dead, it’s likely on its way to the grave. That being said I used the original cubicle labs GTS M for the past 3 years. I just recently upgraded to using the GTS3 M and Gan X