• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WhatDoIPutHere's Cubing Progression - Modding YS3M! Road to: Sub-20 3x3 - Learning PLL 11/21| Sub-5 2x2 - Ortega | Sub-3 Minute 5x5 - Yau5

I've been learning Yau 5 and it feels so much faster, however my times have actually dipped initially. I think that I will get faster using this method.
I've also been working on modding my 5x5, which is a very cheap budget cube. I'm working on sanding down corners to make it able to turn if the layers are even slightly misaligned. I would magnetize it, but I don't know how

a_cuber04

SS Competition Results
To be honest, with the amount of time and effort (and the money for buying the magnets) that it would take to magnetize a 5x5, it would probably be cheaper and more worthwhile to just buy a pre-magnetized 5x5, such as the QiYi MS 5x5 which costs $14.95 at SCS. However, the YJ MGC 5x5 is generally considered to be better and is probably worth the extra $6, but the QiYi MS is still great.

Although, some may argue that the satisfaction of successfully magnetizing a 5x5 would be worth it. If so, then go right ahead! BTW, if you do go that route, try to get stronger magnets for the inner layers.

WCA
2023FUKU01
I've been learning Yau 5 and it feels so much faster, however my times have actually dipped initially. I think that I will get faster using this method.
I've also been working on modding my 5x5, which is a very cheap budget cube. I'm working on sanding down corners to make it able to turn if the layers are even slightly misaligned. I would magnetize it, but I don't know how
Actually I have just ordered a meilong 5x5 for backup last week. I’m going to magnetise it once it arrives and I can share with you on how I magnetise it. Regarding on sanding down the pieces, I would like to learn from you about how to do it.
😂😅
To be honest, with the amount of time and effort (and the money for buying the magnets) that it would take to magnetize a 5x5, it would probably be cheaper and more worthwhile to just buy a pre-magnetized 5x5, such as the QiYi MS 5x5 which costs $14.95 at SCS. However, the YJ MGC 5x5 is generally considered to be better and is probably worth the extra $6, but the QiYi MS is still great.

Although, some may argue that the satisfaction of successfully magnetizing a 5x5 would be worth it. If so, then go right ahead! BTW, if you do go that route, try to get stronger magnets for the inner layers.
I don’t agree with you here as I think magnetising a 5x5 is very simple and would only take you just less than an hour if you are experienced enough in magnetising higher order puzzles like a yuxin gigaminx. Also if you always have like more than 2000 magnets at home like me, you wouldn’t have to buy any extra magnets for that. It only takes 96 magnets.

Last edited:

a_cuber04

SS Competition Results
I don’t agree with you here as I think magnetising a 5x5 is very simple and would only take you just less than an hour if you are experienced enough in magnetising higher order puzzles like a yuxin gigaminx. Also if you always have like more than 2000 magnets at home like me, you wouldn’t have to buy any extra magnets for that. It only takes 96 magnets.
That's a good point, and has made me reconsider my position. I personally have never magnetized a 5x5, so I'm obviously not the expert here. The only way to get the experience of magnetizing puzzles is to do it! The satisfaction of magnetizing your own puzzle would probably trump just buying a new one.

BTW, where do you buy your magnets? I'm asking because I'm considering magnetizing my QiYi 9x9, and I just need to get up the willpower to do it.

WCA
2023FUKU01
That's a good point, and has made me reconsider my position. I personally have never magnetized a 5x5, so I'm obviously not the expert here. The only way to get the experience of magnetizing puzzles is to do it! The satisfaction of magnetizing your own puzzle would probably trump just buying a new one.

BTW, where do you buy your magnets? I'm asking because I'm considering magnetizing my QiYi 9x9, and I just need to get up the willpower to do it.
Actually I'm planning on magnetising a QiYi big cube as well, the QiYi 8x8. For the QiYi 9x9, I have heard that you will have to do spring compression to make it great, but once you have compressed the springs by 2mm and add magnets into it, it becomes excellent.

Hey guys, its been a while since I've posted on this.
First of, thank you to everyone who warned me to learn Ortega before CLL, there are actually only 6 algs that I have to learn for Ortega when coming from two-look OLL on 3x3, just 3 OLLs because the rest are identical, and there are only really 3 PBLs as the other two are just normal two look PLL on 3x3 cases. Maybe its technically 5 because one of the OLL cases is just the edge OLL from 3x3.
Secondly, I feel like my work on improving on 5x5 is really paying off. Learning Yau5 was relatively simple and it already feels faster (I haven't timed myself recently because I'm too lazy).
On 3x3, I learned the T Perm and my next algs I will learn are the Gd Perm and the Ab Perm.

WCA
2023FUKU01
Actually I have just ordered a meilong 5x5 for backup last week. I’m going to magnetise it once it arrives and I can share with you on how I magnetise it. Regarding on sanding down the pieces, I would like to learn from you about how to do it.

😂😅

I have just magnetised my meilong 5x5, and I found that it is not that easy to find the right magnet strength even though I have over 3000 magnets of 15 different sizes to choose from. I ended up using 48 5*2 magnets, 24 5*1.5 magnets and 24 3*2 magnets. The magnets are on the stronger side with the inners just a bit stronger than the outers, but no where as insane as the magnets in the qiyi ms 5x5.

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-20 at 06.31.07.jpeg

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have just magnetised my meilong 5x5, and I found that it is not that easy to find the right magnet strength even though I have over 3000 magnets of 15 different sizes to choose from. I ended up using 48 5*2 magnets, 24 5*1.5 magnets and 24 3*2 magnets. The magnets are on the stronger side with the inners just a bit stronger than the outers, but no where as insane as the magnets in the qiyi ms 5x5.

View attachment 22245
If you have the Meilong 5x5 M, I think it would be easy to determine the magnet strength.

WCA
2023FUKU01
If you have the Meilong 5x5 M, I think it would be easy to determine the magnet strength.
If I have the Meilong 5x5 M, I don’t have to magnetise another Meilong 5x5
Also moyu factory magnetised big cubes always tend to have weaker magnets, so it may not be a perfect magnet strength for everyone.