• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What would the WR times be if the 4x4 was the original Rubik's Cube?

lejitcuber

WCA
2014JAYE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was just wondering what would happen if Erno Rubik invented the 4x4 first and that gained all popularity?

I think that all of the bigger cubes would have slightly lower times as more 4x4 algs would have been developed, also I think we wouldn't solve larger cubes with redux as the method we would all be familiar with would be Yau or Hoya.
I also think that the the Rubik's Cube being a 4x4 wouldn't have been popular due to the difficulty.
But this is just my opinion and I would love to know what everyone else in this vast community thinks.

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
But Yau and/or Hoya were based on traditional reduction so I don't know if someone would figure it out if traditional reduction wasn't "invented" yet. Also since 3x3x3 may not be as popular, people may suck at whatever 3x3x3 stage is left, after reduction.

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why do you assume that there would be actually any WRs? I think 4x4 would be extremaly unpopular and WCA wouldn't be even created due to that unpopularity. Maybe Terutoshi Ishige's cube would steal the show (he created the cube 2 years later)

SenorJuan

If you could invent a 4x4x4, then it would be a fairly small step to create a viable 2x2x2, and THAT would be a popular puzzle, especially with school age buyers.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I was thinking of posting this thread but with like mega or pyra.

I think it may be interesting cause redux wouldn't be the dominant i don't think but rather some fairly interesting direct solving methods.