• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What type of Shock oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
WCA
2009DAVI03
The higher the number the thicker the fluid. Higher will be slower. 10 is the lowest weight silicone "oil" I have found. 30 is the most commonly available, and if the wieght isnl;t listed it is likely 30 wt.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Sn3kyPandaMan
I use 20 wt. However I've only tried just that.

Heads up: Shock oil builds up and slows down the cube faster than other lubes. The oil in specific gets into the core which people don't typically clean as often, and it can really bog down the speed.

Last edited:
WCA
2009DAVI03
I have searched and all i can find are petroleum based products.

I looked at literally every shock oil and lubricant available from tower hobbies which has an amazing selection. I don't think this product exists. It would eb nice if you double check.

HPI is the only product I can find
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTLK8&P=7
http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Z141-SHOCK-...temQQimsxZ20091113?IMSfp=TL091113179009r38967

HPI also makes silicone based shock oil but not at weights as low as 5.

WCA
2009DAVI03
I use 20 wt. However I've only tried just that.

Heads up: Shock oil builds up and slows down the cube faster than other lubes. The oil in specific gets into the core which people don't typically clean as often, and it can really bog down the speed.
it seems liek the trick to avoiding this is using less. I can lube a 3x3 really well with just 8 drops, one to each side, and two to the foot area.

apply sparingly and work it in. you can always add more.

Status
Not open for further replies.