• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What type of cube should be created next?

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Better Square-1s, Pyraminxes, Megaminxes, 2x2s, 4x4s, and 6x6s. I'd like to get to the point where people pick their mains for every event based on their turning styles (like how 3x3 currently is); not just because there are only one or two good ones.

D

Daniel Lin

cheaper 6x6s and 7x7s
I don't understand why so many new 3x3s are always made but there are only 2 7x7s-the moyu aofu and the shengshou.

JaredRB9000

There's a reason there isn't a good clock; no one likes clock.
Don't have any experience with it, but it doesn't seem fun. I'm only getting it to have a complete WCA set.
There's a reason no one likes clock; there isn't a good clock.
Honestly, these are both very true. There aren't enough Clock solvers for companies to make better Clocks, and there aren't good enough clocks for people to be interested. Clock has kind of dug itself a hole.

Last edited:

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think Kilominx (not master) would make a nice WCA event. The new one ShengShou is about to release looks great. I wonder what times the pro cubers could get at speedsolving that.
Also maybe some 3x3 shapemod could make it as WCA event, not sure if ghost, mirror or fisher.
Regarding new puzzles, to be honest, if I had an idea I would try to build it first.

JaredRB9000

I think Kilominx (not master) would make a nice WCA event. The new one ShengShou is about to release looks great. I wonder what times the pro cubers could get at speedsolving that.
Also maybe some 3x3 shapemod could make it as WCA event, not sure if ghost, mirror or fisher.
Regarding new puzzles, to be honest, if I had an idea I would try to build it first.
I'm no dodecahedron solver, but maybe they should also include Gigaminx, kinda like higher order regular cubes.

Last edited:

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I've said before and I'll say again that I would love to see gigaminx as an official event. Somebody mentioned that one problem is that very few people can solve a gigaminx in less than the 10 minutes that a stackmat timer can measure, but that's just a reason to phase out the stackmat timer in favor of a similar timer designed specifically for cubing, with an extra digit to count minutes. That would also allow the same timer to be used for 4 bld, 5 bld, and mbld, instead of using a stopwatch.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've said before and I'll say again that I would love to see gigaminx as an official event. Somebody mentioned that one problem is that very few people can solve a gigaminx in less than the 10 minutes that a stackmat timer can measure, but that's just a reason to phase out the stackmat timer in favor of a similar timer designed specifically for cubing, with an extra digit to count minutes. That would also allow the same timer to be used for 4 bld, 5 bld, and mbld, instead of using a stopwatch.
That would be great. I have always found the 10 minute limit quite annoying. For example when I am starting to practice big cubes (my first 2 o 3 timed 5x5 solves went over 10 minutes, not to talk about 7x7, those went over 20 minutes). Same with my 1st 3BLD attempts. So, a thumbs up for a new cubing timer :)
The only problem I see with Gigaminx is that it's a long event so, probably not many people would be interested. Yeah, I know that big BLD and MBLD events take usually longer but for the speedsolving events I guess the longer right now is 7x7 with cutoffs probably around 5 minutes. Gigaminx would need cutoffs in the order of 15-20 minutes but I'm sure good comp organizers could manage.
When I was referring to kilominx I meant the 2 layer. Up to now there was only the flowerminx, which was not very good for speedsolving afaik but the new Shengshou looks great so, who knows. Also, apart from Gigaminx, maybe the Master Kilominx (4 layers) would be interesting as well. Not sure if there is any one of those that's any good for speedsolving right now. The new Shengshou Gigaminx is very nice, that's for sure (I own one).

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Another thing to consider is that competition will drive development. Without WCA I doubt we would have ended up with nearly the range of 3x3s that are on the market now. Adding gigaminx or kilominx or helicopter cube or cuboids, or whatever will almost necessarily spur development of hardware with speed and stability far beyond what now even seems possible.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another thing to consider is that competition will drive development. Without WCA I doubt we would have ended up with nearly the range of 3x3s that are on the market now. Adding gigaminx or kilominx or helicopter cube or cuboids, or whatever will almost necessarily spur development of hardware with speed and stability far beyond what now even seems possible.
You've got a point here, I must admit. And I would definitely prefer WCA to extend on twisty puzzles and not things like clock or the phased out Magic foldable puzzles. But also there's a risk on spreading too thin with lots of official events as competitions with a full event roster could be a nightmare to organize. The more so for 1 or 2 day competitions.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Just do a straight across swap, gigaminx for clock. That won't affect schedule much, right? :)

In all seriousness, though, it would be possible to save time through limiting the number of attempts at a competition without disenfranchising anyone by pre-qualifying people to advance to later rounds based on their performance in recent competitions. For example, if the final round of US nationals has room for 32 competitors, 16 slots would be reserved for the highest ranked individuals in that event from the US in the last year.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally, I think that 4x4x4 FMC would be interesting as instead of going for absolute optimal (ish) solutions (which likely can't get much better for single at least) and there would be a lot more balancing between insertions, less efficient block and it may also help to stimulate alternate 4x4 methods.