• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What to get???

Deweyspunkis

WCA
2011GUEL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys! This is my first post on this forum and I can't wait to be a part of this awesome community! So I've been getting into speed cubing and my average is about 1:20 (I know it's not the best but hey i'm just starting). At the moment, I am using a standard Rubik's brand cube. I was looking into cubes on sites and lot's of people said to get the type f-ii as it was really good. So I ordered an f-ii from cube4you.com and it hasn't come in the mail yet. I also wanna get some stuff from cubesmith but i'm not sure what to get. For my lube, I'm gonna get the lubix lube but am unsure which one to get. Should I get the 4cc or the 8cc? the 4cc is $15 and the 8cc is $20. I know the 8 is a really good deal compared to the 4cc but will I really need all the lube? Also for the stickers. I know everyone has a different opinion but what do you guys think? I think I might get 2 tiles and 2 textured. I wanna try and stay away from stickers because they peel and that will be a real hassle to keep getting new ones. So which ones should I get? Thanks guys! :cool:

Overview of questions:
1. Is the f-ii good?
2. What other cubes should I get?
3. What type of tiles should I get on my cube? Textured or smooth? Or just regular stickers?
4. Is lubix lube good?
5. Should I get the 4cc at $15 or the 8cc at $20? Although 8cc is worth it, will I need it?

Joker

YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome to the forums :D

1. After a few months it sucks.
2. Haiyan Memory and GuHong.
3. I prefer stickers, but if you like tiles, I prefer textured.
4. Supposedly it is the best.
5. 4cc can lube around 30 cubes. 8cc can lube around 60 cubes. You probably will not need it, but for price, yeah it is worth it.

Deweyspunkis

WCA
2011GUEL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
=/ So now I guess I wasted money on the f-ii :( lol how does it get bad after a few months? Also, what's better the Haiyan or GuHong if you had to choose? I'll go check 'em out now. Also, what site do you think I should get my cubes from?

Joker

YouTube
Visit Channel
Nah, you didn't waste your money. It's great, but it wears out. It starts locking up and popping like crazy after a few months.
I've never tried either a GuHong or a Haiyan Memory, but most people say the GuHong is better. I should recieve a GuHong in a few days though, and I'll post a little review on it maybe.
For the site, lots of people either get cubes from lightake.com or speedcubeshop.com
Be warned though, lightake sometimes takes a long time to ship.

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
The FII isn't bad by any means and in a few months you'll be looking for a new cube anyway regardless of the condition of your FII. You can't go wrong with the Memory or Guhong. I recommend getting an A-V and modding it. It's a simple modification and the benefits are great. I recommend the 8cc Lubix cause if you get into other cubes like 4x4 and bigger ones youll want to lube those as well and they take more than just a dab of lubix. I have no experience with tiles but you can't go wrong with stickers.

Speedcubeshop.com is good so is cubedepotusa.com. There's a whole thread about what cube sites are good for what and which ones offer which cubes just hit up the search function. I'd normally link it for you but I'm on my iPod so it's kinda hard.

Last edited:

Zarxrax

Fii doesn't get bad after a few months. It's a fine cube.
Guhong is my favorite though, and fii my 2nd favorite. I haven't tried the hayan memory.

I also prefer stickers. I've been cubing for nearly 2 years now, and have never had any set of stickers (cubesmith or otherwise) wear out.

The 8cc might be a better deal if you think you will stick with this for a long time and will be buying lots of new cubes.

Hiero

WCA
2010MAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My f2 has stayed good. I didn't like the Haiyan. You made a good choice. You will want to change the stickers on the f2. I like the bright set and get a separate red side instead of pink. I saw a lot of faster guys using it, so I switched and I've liked it ever since. I don't think our competition tables had very great lighting, so it would have helped with f2l recognition. The calendar cube is awesome to have on your desk, it looks really good. Take your rubik's brand and make it a calendar cube.

Oh yeah, I like stickers on everything. The tiles don't let you feel the cube very well. I think most people prefer stickers.

Deweyspunkis

WCA
2011GUEL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok so now I think i'll get the 8cc, keep the f-ii, get 1 textured and 1 tiled and get 5 sticker sets. Lubix seems very good from reviews. Speaking of 4x4's I solved it for the first time the other day and the 4x4 came very easy to me since I know the 3x3. Now I am trying to conquer the 5x5! Back to the topic, I'll see what happens and get back! Till then...

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
Congrats on the 4x4 solve. I'm trying to get into 4x4 but it's so annoying cause it's too hard to turn to finger trick with. I'm gonna lube and tension mine tonight though and see how it goes. I'm also interested in 5x5 and plan on getting a V-Cube soon.

Deweyspunkis

WCA
2011GUEL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Congrats on the 4x4 solve. I'm trying to get into 4x4 but it's so annoying cause it's too hard to turn to finger trick with. I'm gonna lube and tension mine tonight though and see how it goes. I'm also interested in 5x5 and plan on getting a V-Cube soon.

Yea, I know but once you get the 4x4 the 5x5 is like the same thing almost. And the second half of solving the 4x4 is like a 3x3 :p I'm using the rubik's 5x5 though and i'm always afraid of it popping because it is horrible in my opinion. I havn't tried any v cubes but once I get better with all my cubes I will check those out

theace

WCA
2010RAOA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. Yes. But If you're considering buying the F - II, I suggest you also buy a set of replacement stickers because the stock ones suck. They'll go white in about a week of hardcore cubing. You can find replacement stickers HERE.
2. I would recommend the DaYan GuHong. Are you looking to buy random, non competitive cubes?
3. Your preference. Tiles won't peel. But they'll chip.
4. Yes.
5. Get the 8cc. You'd be able to use it somewhere sometime...