• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What percentage of your solves start with an Xcross

* What percentage of your solves start with an Xcross ?

• 0-10%

Votes: 49 81.7%
  • 11-40%

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • 41-60%

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • 61-80%

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • All my solves

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
I never uses xcrosses. I sometimes happen to use orientation+separation of corners together, though :p

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't honestly know exactly how often I use X-cross as I haven't counted a true percentage in a while. If I had to estimate I would say that I use X-cross 35% +/- 5% when using opposite color neutral solving. Using \( 1-(1-x)^2 \) as I do on my site, and working backward with my estimated opposite color neutral number, I would estimate that if I solved on only one color that I would use X-cross 19% +/- 3% of the time. I haven't taken an actual survey in a while, but the last time I did I used X-cross 25% of the time on one color, giving me an approximately 44% chance to solve X-cross using opposite color neutral. I have since chosen not to solve X-cross quite as often, more specifically not unless I see most or all of the solution during inspection. This does result in me sometimes wanting to attempt X-cross, but choosing not to.

Ever since I started FMC I've been finding X-Crosses like crazy. I voted 61%-80%, but I think my definition of an X-Cross is a little different. Sometimes I preserve the pair and insert it after the cross is done but before I have to start looking for other F2L pieces. I count that as an X-Cross because it was all planned during inspection. I have also decided that doing opposite color neutral just to get an X-Cross is not worth it for me because I find them so often with just one color as my cross.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A while ago I realized that when I see an xcross and go for it, I tend to get times that are *worse* than normal, instead of better. Since then I only do xcrosses if they are either really easy (like a premade 2x2x1 block) or accidental. I don't know the percent but it's not all that high.

Andrew Ricci

Anonymity is for Nubs
WCA
2010RICC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
A while ago I realized that when I see an xcross and go for it, I tend to get times that are *worse* than normal, instead of better. Since then I only do xcrosses if they are either really easy (like a premade 2x2x1 block) or accidental. I don't know the percent but it's not all that high.

Agreed. I only do an x-cross if it is very easy or there is a pre made pair that can be added to the cross in only an extra move or two. Otherwise I won't.